DAY AND NIGHT OF MUSEUMS 2013
18 May 2013
On 18 May there are celebrated International Museum Day and Night of Museums, two of the most important events in the life of worldwide community of museums.
The National Museum of History of Moldova organized a marathon of events dedicated to the Day and Night of Museums, which lasted 15 hours.
The International Museum Day celebrations were held from 11:00 to 18:00, and the program dedicated to The European Night of Museums started at 18:00 and ended at 02:00.
Program of the International Museum Day included:
In the rooms of the museum
- Workshops for children: Experimental Archaeology, Paper Folding Techniques, History and Art of Writing (11:00-16:00)
- Screening of documentary films (11:00-17:00)
- Round Table Conference „Museum as an Area of Discovery and Knowledge within a School Curriculum". The event was attended by school teachers from Chisinau. The debate focused on improving the teaching of history in schools using a museum as important resource for teaching and learning (11:00-12:00).
- Opening of the exhibition "Weapons and Military Equipment - an Evolution Throughout Centuries" (13:00)
- Musical improvisations with Elena Bogachenko's disciples, the Republican Boarding School of Music named after Sergei Rachmaninoff (12:30)
- Exhibition and master-class of hand-made toys (11:00-18:00)
- Trampoline, swing (11:00-18:00)
- Contest „Know the Heritage and Win!" (12:00-13:00)
- Archery (13:00-18:00)
- Children's entertainment program "Children's Games of the Past" (13:00-16:00)
- Military historical show with costumes and medieval weaponry supported by students of the Academy "Stefan cel Mare" of Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Moldova (14:00)
- "In the rhythm of dance" with the Modern Dance Ensemble „Atlantica" (15:00)
Program of the Night of Museums:
This year the event was held under the title „Games and Entertainment of the Old Days".
The public could visit the permanent exhibitions "History and Civilization" and the Diorama of the Iasi-Chisinau Operation, as well as the temporary exhibition opened on this occasion "Weapons and Military Equipment - an Evolution of Human Society throughout History".
The museum exhibition rooms as well as the yard became an arena of games and entertainment in which our ancestors used to spent their leisure time and which helped them to relax and get closer to each other. On this night people were able to learn more about the ability of their ancestors to enjoy life.
In the rooms of the museum there unfolded the Roman festival „Floralia", medieval Feast of Fools, games (dice, chess, backgammon, card games), farces, there were showed a silent movie, modern and old dances.
The public could visit „News Tearoom" (where the visitors could look through the century-old newspapers), photographic workshop „Retro-Museum", „Military Wardrobe" (who wished was able to try on uniforms from the museum's collection).
In the downstairs hall there was shown a film about the lost cultural heritage and was organized hand-made jewelry workshops.
In the museum yard there took place:
- The Museum Night exhibit: tractor „Universal" (1948), Lapidarium (18:00-02:00)
- Exhibition and master-class of hand-made toys (18:00-24:00)
- Archery (18:00-21:00)
- Tent of the military history and art enthusiasts (18:00-24:00)
- Contest "Know the Heritage and Win!"
- Melodies of yesterday and today performed by the Orchestra-Model of Ministry of Internal Affairs, military conductor Oleg Cazacu (19:00)
- Festival of Military Traditions. Students of the Academy „Stefan cel Mare" of Ministry of Internal Affairs presented methods of combat and weapons handling skills (20:00)
- Dance Show with Just Friends Ballet, choreographer Igor Munteanu (21:00)
- Procession of torchbearers. Fighting in armor (21:50)
- uNick at Night. Live music concert (22:30)
Partners: KissFM, TV7, Academy „Stefan cel Mare" of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Chess Academy of Moldova, Historical Club Ensifer, Republican Center for Children and Youth ARTICO, National College of Choreography, Municipal Department for Child Protection, Archery Federation, uNick Band, Just Friends Ballet, Republican Boarding School of Music "Sergei Rachmaninoff", Ministry of Internal Affairs, Cooperative Commercial University of Moldova, Moldova State University