EN RO
National Museum of History of Moldova
Read Mode















#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816.

Soon the icon became very popular, and its fame increased enormously thanks to the healings that occurred thanks to the intercession of the Mother of God; the names of the healed people, their place of residence and sufferings were described in periodicals. Archimandrite Seraphim, hegumen of the monastery in from 1805 to 1827, mentioned the special veneration of the icon of the Mother of God from the Hârbovăţ Monastery by Orthodox people who are always looking for help and intercession from this icon of the Empress of The World. Believers called it a wonder-making icon even before the Holy Synod issued Decree No. 526 of January 26, 1859, signed by Emperor Alexander II, proclaiming the icon of the Our Lady of Hârbovăţ as the Wonder-Making. Recognizing the miraculous properties of this icon, the Holy Synod also organized religious processions with the delivery of the icon to Chişinău on October 1 and its subsequent return to the monastery on April 23.

The icon of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ is one of the earliest and most popular types of the Theotokos icons, that of Hodegetria. In this iconographic depiction, the Mother of God and the Child are presented in a frontal position, looking at the one who is praying. The Mother of God holds the Child on Her left hand, and with Her right hand points to Him, the Child blesses with His right hand, holding in His left hand a sacred scroll – a symbol of the Gospel. Regarding the images, it should be said that the icons of the Herbovets Mother of God differ from the traditional icons of the Hodegetria type in a special relationship between the characters, their mutual affection is expressed in poses, in the tilt of the heads, in the gentle expression of the Child’s face. We can say that in the iconography of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ, features of two different types of Theotokos are harmoniously combined: the Mother of God Hodegetria, or Our Lady of the Way, and the Mother of God Eleusa, or the Virgin of Tenderness.

Exact copies of this icon are still kept in the summer church of the Noul Neamţ Monastery in the village of Chiţcani (Căuşeni), in the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Church in the village of Sîrcova (Rezina), in the All Saints Church in Chişinău (early 20th century), in the Transfiguration Cathedral in Bolgrad, in the Transfiguration Monastery in Tatarbunary, in the Saint Paraskeva Church in the village of Furatovka (Odessa Oblast), in the Saint Archangel Michael Monastery in Odessa, in the Ascension Monastery in Teplodar (Ukraine), in the Holy Trinity Monastery in the village of Mramor, near Topolovgrad (Bulgaria), in the Holy Great Martyr Theodore Tyron Cathedral in Chişinău, in the Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Ungheni, and other churches.

Click here for a Virtual Tour of the Museum

 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Movie night under the stars, Third Edition

The National Museum of History of Moldova hosted the 3rd edition of the Movie night under the stars, in collaboration with the Association on Charity and Promotion of Civic Culture. The event was held in the courtyard on the museum every night of Thursday, Friday and Saturday in the period between June 30 and July 9, starting at 21.00.

For the 2016 edition, were chosen six international productions from the 50s and 60s of the twentieth century - comedies and dramas, films with box office success and with international film festivals awards. Below are listed the films from this year's edition:

• 30th June, Операция «Ы» и другие приключения Шурика / Operation Y and Shurik's Other Adventures (1965), 90 minutes
Directed by Leonid Gayday
Cast: Aleksandr Demyanenko, Aleksei Smirnov, Vladimir Basov, Yuri Nikulin, Georgy Vitsin, etc.
• 1st July, Берегись автомобиля / Beware of the Car (1966), 94 minutes
Directed by Eldar Ryazanov
Cast: Innokenty Smoktunovsky, Oleg Yefremov, Andrei Mironov, Yevgeniy Yevstigneyev etc.
• 2nd July, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964), 91 minutes
Directed: Jacques Demy
Cast: Catherine Deneuve, Nino Castelnuovo, Anne Vernon etc.
• 7th July, Le Gendarme de Saint-Tropez (1964), 90 minutes
Directed by Jean Girault
Cast: Louis de Funès, Geneviève Grad, Michel Galabru etc.
• 8th July, Roman Holiday (1953), 118 minutes
Directed by William Wyler
Cast: Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn, Eddie Albert etc.
• 9th July, Singing in the Rain (1952), 103 minutes
Directed by Gene Kelly, Stanley Donen
Cast: Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds etc.

The films were screened in the original language with subtitles in Romanian.

At the event was presented an exhibition of photography (11 young photographers exhibited their works) and painting (made by Adriana Adam, Eugenia Levițchi and Irina Baltag). In the program of the six movie nights were included some musical moments performed by young artists and bands such as: Alexandra Cebotari, „Cosmos în buzunar" (Cosmos in the Pocket), „Altă Planetă" (Another Planet), "Miriam" etc.

The event "Movie night under the stars" gathered around 800 movie lovers in the courtyard of the National Museum of History of Moldova.


Movie night under the stars, Third Edition
Movie night under the stars, Third Edition
Movie night under the stars, Third Edition
Movie night under the stars, Third Edition
Movie night under the stars, Third Edition
Movie night under the stars, Third Edition
Movie night under the stars, Third Edition
Movie night under the stars, Third Edition
Movie night under the stars, Third Edition


 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.








Ask us a question now!






#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816..

Read More >>

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2020 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu