EN RO
Read Mode















 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Branch Museums

Museum of Victims of Political Repressions and Deportations

Museum of the Victims of Deportations and Political Repressions was created by Government Decision no. 605 of July 2, 2010 as branch of the National Museum of History of Moldova.

On June 13, 2012, in an exhibition space in the basement of the National Museum of History of Moldova, was opened the first exhibition of the Museum of the Victims of Deportations and Political Repressions entitled "Soviet Moldova: between myths and gulag".

Exhibition "Soviet Moldova: between myths and gulag" presents the totalitarian phenomenon in the overall history of the Soviet era. By using specific museological techniques, the authors of the exhibition have tried to present to the public the two components of Soviet society: the illusory world of those who embraced the "Soviet dream", believing naively in the ideals of freedom and justice, the "bright future" shaped by Soviet propaganda and the world of people who lived through the hell of communist camps and prisons. The exhibition brings together about 700 museum pieces: photographs, documents, letters from Siberia, vintage posters, personal belongings of former deportees and political prisoners, lists of confiscated property, memoirs written by witnesses and survivors of the Soviet gulag. For the first time are exhibited materials and documents from the archives of the former KGB with reference to the repressed people for their political and religious beliefs.

According to some incomplete data, 31 677 persons were sentenced for "political crimes" between 1920-1951 in MASSR and MSSR, of which over 5000 were sentenced to death. Other 3000 died in prisons and isolators. About 60 thousand people were deported during nationwide deportations: in June 1941, July 1949 and 1 April 1951. Museum materials presented in the exhibition "Soviet Moldova: between myths and gulag" speak about the drama of these persons with incredible destinies.

This is not a usual exhibition, it is a small memorial of sorrows and humiliations of the victims of the red terror, an exhibition that recalls contemporaries of communist totalitarian past that needs to be known, but must remain in history and never repeat again. 

Opening Hours

Daily 10am – 6pm (summer), 10am – 5pm (winter). Admission to the Museum is stopped 20 minutes before closing.
 
Closed: On Fridays, 1, 7, and 8 January, 8 March, first and second day of Easter, Memorial Easter, 1 and 9 May, 27 and 31 August, 25 December.

Alexei Şciusev House Museum in Chisinau

Memorial house "Alexei Şciusev" represents a heritage object located in the historic part of Chișinău. Here, on October 8, 1873, was born and raised the future to become architect, art historian and theorist, academician Alexei Şciusev.

The architect's parents - Victor and Maria Şciusev - built the property in the 50ies of the 19th century, offering their five children a happy family home and distinguished education. Alexei Şciusev lived in this house until 1897. The house remained in the family until 1928, when it was inherited by Sergei Şciusev, the elder brother of the architect.

On 18 September 1947 in this building was inaugurated the first museum of architecture from the republic, which was later reorganized into the Museum house "Alexei Şciusev." The exhibition showing the life and work of the famous architect was opened on October 15, 1973 and was concentrated in two rooms of the building.
The memorial house becomes from 1990 (by Order of the Ministry of Culture no. 411 of December 28, 1989) a branch of the National Museum of History of Moldova.
From November 2013 to May 2014 the memorial house "Alexei Şciusev" has been totally renovated inside and outside.

The permanent exhibition was conceptually reorganized in 2014; its chronologic and thematic framework was expanded. The memorial exhibition is divided into four sections: "Şciusev family salon", "Living room", "Children's Room" and "Cabinet of architect Alexei Şciusev". The exhibition preserves the vintage ambience, reconstructs the family atmosphere in which Alexei Şciusev, this outstanding personality of national and universal culture, grew up and worked.

Opening Hours

Daily 10am – 6pm (summer), 10am – 5pm (winter). Admission to the Museum is stopped 20 minutes before closing.
 
Closed: On Fridays, 1, 7, and 8 January, 8 March, first and second day of Easter, Memorial Easter, 1 and 9 May, 27 and 31 August, 25 December.

Lazo Mansion Museum in the Piatra village (Orhei District)

The Lazo family mansion is located in the village of Piatra, Orhei district. It is registered as a monument of architecture and history from the second half of the nineteenth century, with national significance, protected by the state.
Starting with 1990, by Order of the Ministry of Culture no. 220 from August 1, the mansion is transferred to the administration of the National Museum of History of Moldova, with the status of branch.

The mansion was built between 1862-1865 by Ioan and Matilda Lazo, representatives of a noble family of Bessarabia. Two generations of the Lazo family spent part of their lives in this house. In 1894 Gheorghe and Elena Lazo sold the Piatra mansion. Until 1940, the Lazo family house passed through the hands of several owners. After 1945, the house is nationalized and used as a school. In 1974, the rebuilt mansion became a memorial museum devoted to the civil war hero in Russia, Serghei Lazo. In 1993 the museum was reorganized into the Lazo family mansion. Between 2007 and 2018, the mansion underwent an extensive rehabilitation process, opening its doors to the public on December 2, 2018.

The new exhibition in the Lazo family mansion "Bessarabian Environment - the Piatra mansion - interconnection of historical personalities", includes a living room, a dining room, a library office and a children's room. The memorial and typological pieces from the new exhibition present the material and moral ambience of the Lazo Family Mansion with several generations of this noble family, with their epoch, with all the complexities of life, emotions and facts intertwined with the history of the personalities owners of the Mansion, of living people with their visions and occupations who have been in our history and have contributed to the development of the Basarabian society over the centuries.

Visiting hours:
Monday - Sunday: 10.00-17.00

Friday closed

Official Holidays - January 1, 7 and 8, March 8, the first and second day of Easter, Parents Day, May 1 and 9, August 27 and 31, December 25 - the museum is closed.



Swedish King Charles XII Camp Museum in the Varnita village (Anenii Noi District)

Museum "Camp of King Charles XII of Sweden" is located in Varnița, Anenii Noi District. It was founded on September 15, 1992 as branch of the National Museum of History of Moldova.

At the moment, the project "Historic site Camp of King Charles XII of Sweden from Varnița - valorization and promotion" (April 1, 2016 - May 1, 2017) is ongoing and aims at the rehabilitation and popularization of the historic site, restoration of the monument of the Swedish King Charles XII, scientific and public valorization of the cultural heritage of the site, spatial planning and development of the site.

National Museum of History of Moldova participates in this project as partner of the Association "Woman, hope, future" (from Varnița village), together with local public authority of Varnița and the Agency for Inspection and Restoration of Monuments. The "Historic site Camp of King Charles XII of Sweden from Varnița - rehabilitation and promotion" is funded by the European Union's International Programme on the development of cultural heritage - CHOICE / Cultural Heritage: Opportunity For Improving Civic Engagement.


Memorial Museum of the General Staff of the Second Ukrainian Front in the Malinovscoe village (Rascani District)

Memorial museum of the General Staff of the 2nd Ukrainian Front is located in the village Malinovscoe, Râșcani District. It was founded in 1984.

By Government Decision no. 1275 of November 19, 2001 the memorial museum becomes branch of the National Museum of History of Moldova.

The museum has an exhibition on display showing documents, photos and memorial objects which belonged to marshal R. I. Malinovschi, commander of the 2nd Ukrainian Front, and other participants at the military operation Iași-Chișinău from World War Two.


Opening Hours

Daily 10am – 6pm (summer), 10am – 5pm (winter). Admission to the Museum is stopped 20 minutes before closing.
 
Closed: On Fridays, 1, 7, and 8 January, 8 March, first and second day of Easter, Memorial Easter, 1 and 9 May, 27 and 31 August, 25 December.


 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2019 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: museum@starnet.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu