Lazo Mansion Museum in the Piatra village (Orhei District)
The Lazo family mansion is located in the village of Piatra, Orhei district. It is registered as a monument of architecture and history from the second half of the nineteenth century, with national significance, protected by the state.
Starting with 1990, by Order of the Ministry of Culture no. 220 from August 1, the mansion is transferred to the administration of the National Museum of History of Moldova, with the status of branch.
The mansion was built between 1862-1865 by Ioan and Matilda Lazo, representatives of a noble family of Bessarabia. Two generations of the Lazo family spent part of their lives in this house. In 1894 Gheorghe and Elena Lazo sold the Piatra mansion. Until 1940, the Lazo family house passed through the hands of several owners. After 1945, the house is nationalized and used as a school. In 1974, the rebuilt mansion became a memorial museum devoted to the civil war hero in Russia, Serghei Lazo. In 1993 the museum was reorganized into the Lazo family mansion. Between 2007 and 2018, the mansion underwent an extensive rehabilitation process, opening its doors to the public on December 2, 2018.
The new exhibition in the Lazo family mansion "Bessarabian Environment - the Piatra mansion - interconnection of historical personalities", includes a living room, a dining room, a library office and a children's room. The memorial and typological pieces from the new exhibition present the material and moral ambience of the Lazo Family Mansion with several generations of this noble family, with their epoch, with all the complexities of life, emotions and facts intertwined with the history of the personalities owners of the Mansion, of living people with their visions and occupations who have been in our history and have contributed to the development of the Basarabian society over the centuries.
Visiting hours: Monday - Sunday: 10.00-17.00
Official Holidays - January 1, 7 and 8, March 8, the first and second day of Easter, Parents Day, May 1 and 9, August 27 and 31, December 25 - the museum is closed.
Kyathos (Ancient Greek: κύαθος - ladle, cup) is an ancient Greek vessel (ladle), used to pour wine from various larger vessels (kraters, hydriai, pelicai, and so on) into drinking cups. During the existence of these vessels, they were made of different materials: from silver and bronze to burnt clay, the latter ones being often painted with red and black figures, and sometimes covered only with black slip. In the myths about Hercules, a young cupbearer named Kyathos is mentioned, who during a feast, scooping up wine from a vessel with a ceramic ladle to pour it into Hercules' bowl, accidentally broke the high handle of the vessel (which often happens) and spilled wine on the legendary hero. Hercules, not calculating his strength, gave the inattentive young man a flick on the forehead...