EN RO
National Museum of History of Moldova
Read Mode















#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816.

Soon the icon became very popular, and its fame increased enormously thanks to the healings that occurred thanks to the intercession of the Mother of God; the names of the healed people, their place of residence and sufferings were described in periodicals. Archimandrite Seraphim, hegumen of the monastery in from 1805 to 1827, mentioned the special veneration of the icon of the Mother of God from the Hârbovăţ Monastery by Orthodox people who are always looking for help and intercession from this icon of the Empress of The World. Believers called it a wonder-making icon even before the Holy Synod issued Decree No. 526 of January 26, 1859, signed by Emperor Alexander II, proclaiming the icon of the Our Lady of Hârbovăţ as the Wonder-Making. Recognizing the miraculous properties of this icon, the Holy Synod also organized religious processions with the delivery of the icon to Chişinău on October 1 and its subsequent return to the monastery on April 23.

The icon of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ is one of the earliest and most popular types of the Theotokos icons, that of Hodegetria. In this iconographic depiction, the Mother of God and the Child are presented in a frontal position, looking at the one who is praying. The Mother of God holds the Child on Her left hand, and with Her right hand points to Him, the Child blesses with His right hand, holding in His left hand a sacred scroll – a symbol of the Gospel. Regarding the images, it should be said that the icons of the Herbovets Mother of God differ from the traditional icons of the Hodegetria type in a special relationship between the characters, their mutual affection is expressed in poses, in the tilt of the heads, in the gentle expression of the Child’s face. We can say that in the iconography of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ, features of two different types of Theotokos are harmoniously combined: the Mother of God Hodegetria, or Our Lady of the Way, and the Mother of God Eleusa, or the Virgin of Tenderness.

Exact copies of this icon are still kept in the summer church of the Noul Neamţ Monastery in the village of Chiţcani (Căuşeni), in the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Church in the village of Sîrcova (Rezina), in the All Saints Church in Chişinău (early 20th century), in the Transfiguration Cathedral in Bolgrad, in the Transfiguration Monastery in Tatarbunary, in the Saint Paraskeva Church in the village of Furatovka (Odessa Oblast), in the Saint Archangel Michael Monastery in Odessa, in the Ascension Monastery in Teplodar (Ukraine), in the Holy Trinity Monastery in the village of Mramor, near Topolovgrad (Bulgaria), in the Holy Great Martyr Theodore Tyron Cathedral in Chişinău, in the Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Ungheni, and other churches.

Click here for a Virtual Tour of the Museum

 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Events Archive

Book Release: Sava Eugen, „Settlements from Late Bronze Age in the space between Prut and Dniester Rivers” Chișinău, „Bons Offices”, 2014, 492 p.

September 24, 2015

On September 24th, 2015 at the National Museum of History of Moldova was released the book "Așezări din perioada târzie a epocii bronzului în spațiul pruto-nistrean (Noua-Sabatinovka)" (Settlements from Late Bronze Age in the space between Prut and Dniester Rivers), signed by dr. hab. Eugen Sava, general director of the museum, with the contribution of researchers Mariana Sîrbu and Eugen Mistreanu.

Book Release: Sava Eugen, „Settlements from Late Bronze Age in the space between Prut and Dniester Rivers” Chișinău, „Bons Offices”, 2014, 492 p.
The book has four chapters, divided into sub-chapters, which present: Research history of Noua-Sabatinovka-Coslogeni cultural complex settlements, Catalogue of settlements from the space between Prut and Dniester Rivers, Habitat and material culture, the last chapter focusing on periodization and absolute chronology. The book is remarked by graphical quality and well structured content which addresses all aspects of Noua-Sabatinovka cultural communities' habitat. The volume contains an impressive number of maps and illustrations which perfectly complete the information about the settlements, complexes and archaeological objects approached in the book. This monograph is the result of research conducted by dr. hab. Eugen Sava over more than a decade to elucidate a number of aspects referring to the settlements and lifestyle of Noua-Sabatinovka communities. The volume is certainly part of long-awaited publications in the filed and will surely become a "beside book" for many young scholars working on the Late Bronze Age and beyond. The work was published in an edition of 300 copies and is on sale at the kiosk of the National Museum of History of Moldova.

Monograph release took place in the Blue Room of the National Museum of History of Moldova and was moderated by dr. hab. Elena Ploșnița, scientific secretary of the institution. Dr. hab Elena Ploșnița noted the importance of this work and expressed the respect for Mr. Eugen Sava's work, who „manages to combine perfectly administration of the National Museum of History of Moldova with scientific research".

Further spoke dr. hab. Eugen Sava, who made a brief history of the stages of development of the book, the experience gained in working with young researchers Mariana Sîrbu and Eugen Mistreanu. Credit was given to all those who have contributed to the elaboration of the book.

Official referees of the monograph, dr. hab. Ion Niculiță (Chișinău) and dr. Tudor Soroceanu (Berlin) said the book is well structured and documented, urging other researchers to take it as a good example.

Dr. hab. Oleg Levițki, director of Archaeological Center of the Institute of Cultural Heritage of the Academy of Sciences of Moldova, underlined Mr. Sava's personal role in researching the infrastructure of Noua-Sabatinovka settlements, the enormous bibliographical list used in writing the monograph and expressed opinions on the absolute chronology of Noua-Sabatinovka-Coslogeni complex.

The book release event ended with the opening of the exhibition „Settlements from Late Bronze Age in the space between Prut and Dniester Rivers. Achievements and perspectives" organized in collaboration with the National Archaeological Agency.


 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.








Ask us a question now!






#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816..

Read More >>

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2020 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu