EN RO
National Museum of History of Moldova
Read Mode















#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816.

Soon the icon became very popular, and its fame increased enormously thanks to the healings that occurred thanks to the intercession of the Mother of God; the names of the healed people, their place of residence and sufferings were described in periodicals. Archimandrite Seraphim, hegumen of the monastery in from 1805 to 1827, mentioned the special veneration of the icon of the Mother of God from the Hârbovăţ Monastery by Orthodox people who are always looking for help and intercession from this icon of the Empress of The World. Believers called it a wonder-making icon even before the Holy Synod issued Decree No. 526 of January 26, 1859, signed by Emperor Alexander II, proclaiming the icon of the Our Lady of Hârbovăţ as the Wonder-Making. Recognizing the miraculous properties of this icon, the Holy Synod also organized religious processions with the delivery of the icon to Chişinău on October 1 and its subsequent return to the monastery on April 23.

The icon of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ is one of the earliest and most popular types of the Theotokos icons, that of Hodegetria. In this iconographic depiction, the Mother of God and the Child are presented in a frontal position, looking at the one who is praying. The Mother of God holds the Child on Her left hand, and with Her right hand points to Him, the Child blesses with His right hand, holding in His left hand a sacred scroll – a symbol of the Gospel. Regarding the images, it should be said that the icons of the Herbovets Mother of God differ from the traditional icons of the Hodegetria type in a special relationship between the characters, their mutual affection is expressed in poses, in the tilt of the heads, in the gentle expression of the Child’s face. We can say that in the iconography of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ, features of two different types of Theotokos are harmoniously combined: the Mother of God Hodegetria, or Our Lady of the Way, and the Mother of God Eleusa, or the Virgin of Tenderness.

Exact copies of this icon are still kept in the summer church of the Noul Neamţ Monastery in the village of Chiţcani (Căuşeni), in the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Church in the village of Sîrcova (Rezina), in the All Saints Church in Chişinău (early 20th century), in the Transfiguration Cathedral in Bolgrad, in the Transfiguration Monastery in Tatarbunary, in the Saint Paraskeva Church in the village of Furatovka (Odessa Oblast), in the Saint Archangel Michael Monastery in Odessa, in the Ascension Monastery in Teplodar (Ukraine), in the Holy Trinity Monastery in the village of Mramor, near Topolovgrad (Bulgaria), in the Holy Great Martyr Theodore Tyron Cathedral in Chişinău, in the Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Ungheni, and other churches.

Click here for a Virtual Tour of the Museum

 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Events Archive

25th Annual Scientific Session

October 8-9, 2015

Following the yearly tradition, the National Museum of History of Moldova organized on October 8th and 9th, 2015 the 25th edition of the Yearly Session of Scientific Papers. The Session from October 8th-9th, 2015, as the ones from previous years, had three components: plenary session, issue of the museum journal Tyragetia and discussion in panels.

The opening session was held on October 8th, in the Blue Room of the museum. The participants at the event were greeted by former museum director Nicolae Răileanu, dr.Ion Gumenâi, dean of History Department of the State University of Moldova and dr. Sergiu Musteață, dean of History and Geography Department of the State Pedagogical University „Ion Creangă". Their welcome speeches were focused on the national and international significance of the Session, the need to maintain and promote this tradition and the fruitful collaboration of the museum with universities and academic institutions from the republic and abroad. It was noted what has been achieved so far and what should be done in the future.

Since its first edition, the Session was designed as a complex event with exhibition openings, book issues and other related activities. This year was no exception as at the plenary session was issued the museum journal Tyragetia, 2015, no.1 - Arheologie și Istorie Antică and no.2 - Istorie și Muzeologie. Dr.Aurel Zanoci presented the two volumes of the journal noting their scientific character addressed first of all to specialists, but which can interest the large public as well with their diverse thematic of papers included.

The Session was organized in a plenary meeting and three sections: Archaeology and Ancient History, Medieval and Modern History, Contemporary History and Highlighting Museum Heritage. The plenary session was mediated by dr.hab Elena Ploșnița. Two papers of wide concern were presented in this part of the Session: the first one signed by dr.hab.prof.univ. Victor Ţvircun - „Enigma postmortem a lui Dimitrie Cantemir" (Dimitrie Cantemir postmortem mystery) and the second signed by dr.hab.prof.univ. Anatol Petrencu - „Începuturile Gualg-ului: Arhipelagul Solovețk - Canalul Marrea Albă-Marea Baltică" (Beginnings of Gulag: Archipelago Solovețk - White See-Baltic See Channel).

25th Annual Scientific Session 25th Annual Scientific Session

In the sections were presented 65 scientific papers by researchers, university professors, museographers from the republic and abroad. The thematic palette was a rich one with particularly valuable papers, many of them provoking intense debates. The participants approached issues concerning history, archaeology, protection and highlighting of cultural heritage. The presentations and the discussion were highly appreciated by the participants who expressed opinions, suggestions, identified principles, forwarded hypotheses and made conclusions.

The Session ended with a meeting summarizing the results. All the participants at the session noted the importance and necessity of organizing this Session of scientific papers. The 25th edition of the Yearly Session of Scientific Papers of the museum was a success due to the efforts of the museum staff and the support of our colleagues from the State University of Moldova and the State Pedagogical University „Ion Creangă". Everybody underlined the importance of the event which is actually an international one, while the presence of colleagues from abroad was recognition of the value of this Session. The Session of scientific papers of the museum reflects the interest of specialists for research on history, archaeology and museology.

Elena Ploșnița


 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.








Ask us a question now!






#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816..

Read More >>

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2020 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu