EN RO
National Museum of History of Moldova
Read Mode















#Exhibit of the Month

The National Museum of History of Moldova collects, preserves, researches and exhibits, for the purpose of knowledge and education, material evidence related to the history of Bessarabia. The museum collections are constantly enriched through acquisitions, donations and archaeological excavations.

In the first half of 2018, the museum collections were replenished with new material values, related to the history of the nobility in Bessarabia. As a result of the field investigations, carried out in the village of Brânzeni, Edineț District, five pieces of furniture were purchased, which belonged to Vasile Stroescu: a cabinet, a sofa, a chest of drawers, a chair and a wall mirror. The pieces were purchased from Elizaveta Gureu, the granddaughter of Gheorghe Tincu, who was the manager of the Brânzeni estate, owned by the Stroescu family.

Recently restored, the chair displayed in this showcase dates from the late 19th century - early 20th century. It is made of oak wood in a Russian workshop and has an invaluable memorial value. Its significance is explained by the fact that in the upper part of its back there is an engraved monogram in Cyrillic letters: "СВ", representing the initials of the name and surname of Vasile Stroescu.

This year marks 175 years since the birth of the great Bessarabian philanthropist and patriot, who was called the patron of Romania, Vasile Stroescu, one of the few boyars who put his whole life and fortune in the service of the Romanian Nation.

Vasile Stroescu originated from an old Moldovan boyar family. He was born on November 11, 1845, in Trinca village, Khotin Uyezd (now Edinet District), in the family of Vasile Ion Stroescu (1795-1875) and Porfira Manoil Guţu (1808-1856).

He was one of the most remarkable Romanian figures of Bessarabia, proving himself, through his patriotism, as a political visionary, as a promoter of the reunification of the nation and, especially, as one of the most generous Romanian philanthropists, who promoted all the most beautiful and sacred in the culture of the Romanian people.

His life and tireless activity testify to the complexity of the personality of the man whom the historian Nicolae Iorga called "a great Romanian of kindness and a generous benefactor". The great philanthropist Vasile Stroescu was and remains an example of service to the Romanian people, fully deserving our respect for his memory and deeds.

 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Events Archive

Anniversary Conference „The First Ecclesiastical Magazine in the Bessarabian Space”

June 8, 2017

The Institute of History of ASM in collaboration with the National Museum of History of Moldova organized on June 8, 2017, the Anniversary Scientific Conference "The First Ecclesiastical Journal in the Bessarabian Space (150 years since the publication of the journal Kišinevskie Eparhial'nye Vedomosti)". In the opening speech, dr. hab. Elena Ploșnita, scientific secretary of the National Museum of History of Moldova, stressed the importance of celebrating 150th years of the church press in Bessarabia. The foundation of the church press in the eparchy of Chișinău and Hotin in 1867 is a cultural and spiritual event that marked the religious life of the entire diocese. The scientific conference was held in the Conference Hall of the National Museum of History of Moldova and was moderated by dr. Eugen Onicov, professor at the Academy of Orthodox Theology in Chișinău.

During the conference were presented scientific research papers, which included a wide range of church life issues reflected in the pages of the eparchial journal: Dr. Nicolae Fustei, The Bilingual Edition of the Journal of the Diocese of Chișinău and Hotin (1867-1871), Institute of History, ASM; Dr prof. Eugen Onicov, Information about the monasteries published in the Chișinău Diocese Bulletin, Academy of Orthodox Theology in Chișinău; dr. Diana Ețco, Studies and Research of Archbishop Dimitrie Sulima published in the eparchial journal, Institute of History, ASM; Ana Grițco, The activity of the Balș orphanage reflected in Kišinevskie Eparhial'nye Vedomosti, National Museum of History of Moldova; Vera Serjant, The question about church chant, reflected on the pages of the KEV journal, National Museum of History of Moldova; assoc.prof. Maria Danilov, Materials for the history of the Bessarabian Diocese published by A. Stadnițchi on the pages of the Eparchial Bulletin of Chișinău, Institute of History, AȘM.

Dr. Nicolae Fustei, mentioned that the eparchial journal Kišinevskie Eparchial'nye Vedomosti (Bulletin of the Diocese of Chișinău) was founded by the decree of the Holy Synod of the Russian Church of February 17, 1867. The first issue of the magazine dates back to 1867. This is the second official publication of the province (the first Bessarabian periodical is Bessarabskie Oblastnye Vedomosti, edited since 1854). The bilingual edition of the bulletin of the Diocese of Chișinău and Hotin was published "in Russian and Moldavian language" during four years (1867-1871), but the bilingualism was actually respected in the first two years of publication only, the Romanian version of the bulletin being gradually abandoned. The content of the journal was established up by the teachers of the Theological Seminary and consisted of two parts: one official and another unofficial part. The official one was strictly reserved for the imperial administration's decisions on church life: Circulars of local diocesan leadership. The unofficial one contained various statistics on the eparchy's history; texts-interpretations of the Holy Scripture and the work of the Holy Fathers of the Orthodox Church; various "teachings" for sermons, ethnographic and archeological materials, literature, or folklore. The articles published on the pages of the journal had a rather scientific character from the very first numbers.

At the end of the event, assoc.prof. Silvia Grossu, Faculty of Journalism and Communication Sciences, SUM, on behalf of "Metropolitan Gurie Grosu" association, offered a book donation to the National Museum of History of Moldova- „Mitropolitul Gurie - operă zidită în destinul Basarabiei" (Metropolitan Gurie - masterpiece built in the destiny of Bessarabia). An edition coordinated by Silvia Grosu which appeared in 2016 at Epigraf Publishing House (320 P). Being one of the most distinguished Bessarabian personalities, Metropolitan Gurie Grosu published in the years 1902-1917 numerous materials of historical, moral, religious and missionary character on the pages of the eparchial journal.


 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
National Museum of History of Moldova
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.






#Exhibit of the Month

The National Museum of History of Moldova collects, preserves, researches and exhibits, for the purpose of knowledge and education, material evidence related to the history of Bessarabia. The museum collections are constantly enriched through acquisitions, donations and archaeological excavations. In the first half of 2018, the museum collections were replenished with new material values, related to the history of the nobility in Bessarabia. As a result of the field investigations, carried out in the village of Brânzeni, Edineț District, five pieces of furniture were purchased, which belonged to Vasile Stroescu: a cabinet, a sofa, a chest of drawers, a chair and a wall mirror. The pieces were purchased from Elizaveta Gureu, the granddaughter of Gheorghe Tincu, who was the manager of the Brânzeni estate, owned by the Stroescu family...

Read More >>

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2020 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu