Celebrating the International Museum Day
18 May 2017
In 1977, the International Council of Museums (ICOM) established the International Museum Day, which is celebrated on May 18, in order to recognize the role of these cultural institutions in the development of society. This day aims to help promote the idea that museums are an important means of cultural exchange, mutual enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.Every year on May 18, history, science and art are celebrated around the world through special programs.
The program dedicated to the International Museum Day:
• Free access to museum exhibitions
• Creative and educational workshops for children promoting the country's historical and cultural heritage and the need to protect it
• Interactive lesson and a competition on this year's theme of the International Museum Day - Museums and contested histories: Saying the unspeakable in museums
• Concert of classical music performed by the quartet of the Sergei Lunkevich National Philharmonic
• Opening Ceremony of the International Museum Day 2017. In the program: awarding the Ministry of Culture Prize for achievements in the field of museums, awarding the Diplomas of the Ministry of Culture for remarkable results in museum work 14:00
• Presentation of a series of postage stamps "Treasures of the Past. Ancient Artifacts from the Treasury of the Republic of Moldova" organized by the State Enterprise "Poșta Moldovei". The philatelic issue consists of 4 stamps depicting 4 exhibits from the collections of the National Museum of History of Moldova, an envelope and the first postmark.
• Opening of the exhibition of clocks from the museum collection "The Clock in the Course of Time"
• Performance of the quartet of the Sergei Lunkevich National Philharmonic