EN RO
National Museum of History of Moldova
Read Mode















#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816.

Soon the icon became very popular, and its fame increased enormously thanks to the healings that occurred thanks to the intercession of the Mother of God; the names of the healed people, their place of residence and sufferings were described in periodicals. Archimandrite Seraphim, hegumen of the monastery in from 1805 to 1827, mentioned the special veneration of the icon of the Mother of God from the Hârbovăţ Monastery by Orthodox people who are always looking for help and intercession from this icon of the Empress of The World. Believers called it a wonder-making icon even before the Holy Synod issued Decree No. 526 of January 26, 1859, signed by Emperor Alexander II, proclaiming the icon of the Our Lady of Hârbovăţ as the Wonder-Making. Recognizing the miraculous properties of this icon, the Holy Synod also organized religious processions with the delivery of the icon to Chişinău on October 1 and its subsequent return to the monastery on April 23.

The icon of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ is one of the earliest and most popular types of the Theotokos icons, that of Hodegetria. In this iconographic depiction, the Mother of God and the Child are presented in a frontal position, looking at the one who is praying. The Mother of God holds the Child on Her left hand, and with Her right hand points to Him, the Child blesses with His right hand, holding in His left hand a sacred scroll – a symbol of the Gospel. Regarding the images, it should be said that the icons of the Herbovets Mother of God differ from the traditional icons of the Hodegetria type in a special relationship between the characters, their mutual affection is expressed in poses, in the tilt of the heads, in the gentle expression of the Child’s face. We can say that in the iconography of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ, features of two different types of Theotokos are harmoniously combined: the Mother of God Hodegetria, or Our Lady of the Way, and the Mother of God Eleusa, or the Virgin of Tenderness.

Exact copies of this icon are still kept in the summer church of the Noul Neamţ Monastery in the village of Chiţcani (Căuşeni), in the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Church in the village of Sîrcova (Rezina), in the All Saints Church in Chişinău (early 20th century), in the Transfiguration Cathedral in Bolgrad, in the Transfiguration Monastery in Tatarbunary, in the Saint Paraskeva Church in the village of Furatovka (Odessa Oblast), in the Saint Archangel Michael Monastery in Odessa, in the Ascension Monastery in Teplodar (Ukraine), in the Holy Trinity Monastery in the village of Mramor, near Topolovgrad (Bulgaria), in the Holy Great Martyr Theodore Tyron Cathedral in Chişinău, in the Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Ungheni, and other churches.

Click here for a Virtual Tour of the Museum

 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Events Archive

Launch of the project „Historic site Camp of King Charles XII of Sweden - valorisation and promotion"

April 8th, 2016

Friday, April 8, the National Museum of History of Moldova organised a special event in the village of Varnița - the official launch of project „Historic site Camp of King Charles XII of Sweden from Varnița - valorisation and promotion"/SITVAR. The museum is the main partner of NGO Woman. Hope. Future (Varnița) which will implement the project in the period of April 1, 2016 - May 1, 2017, in partnership with the municipality of Varnița and the Agency for Inspection and Restoration of Monuments.

The event was attended by the representatives of diplomatic missions, state secretary of the Ministry of Culture of Moldova, some guests from Sweden (Vetlanda), Moldavian scholars, local public administration and community.

The event was hosted by the mayor of Varnița, Alexandru Nichitenco, and the general director of the National Museum of History of Moldova, dr.hab. Eugen Sava. In his welcoming speech, Al. Nichitenco noted the necessity and usefulness of the project, thanked everyone for their presence at the event and expressed hope that in March 2017 will witness the opening of the historic site Camp of King Charles XII of Sweden in Varnița for the public.

E. Sava in his speech made a chronological presentation of the events that preceded the development and launch of the project. He noted that in the period 2013-2015 in Moldova, Turkey, Sweden and Greece was implemented another project called "When Sweden was governed from Moldova" which had as aim to preserve historical memory, to valorise a common segment of the Moldovan-Swedish-Turkish history and to mark the 300th anniversary of the "kalabalik" from Varnița. This project was conducted in Moldova by the National Museum of History of Moldova.

Starting April 1, 2016, the museum will contribute to the realization of this project and will soon come up with new ideas regarding the 300th anniversary in 2018 from the death of King Charles XII of Sweden.

The project „Historic site Camp of King Charles XII of Sweden - valorisation and promotion" is funded by the European Union in the framework of the international program on the development of cultural heritage - CHOICE/Cultural Heritage: Opportunity For Improving Civic Engagement. Valeria Suruceanu, president of ICOM Moldova made a short presentation of the project at the event, mentioning that this project is implemented in Moldova by the NGO National Committee ICOM Moldova in partnership with the Association of Agencies for Local Democracy ALDA (France) and it provides a scheme for funding under the program of small grants to non-governmental organisations that propose innovative projects on the protection and interpretation of national cultural heritage. Besides Moldova, this program also operates in Belarus, Ukraine and Armenia with advisory and informational support of partner organisations: International NGO "EuroBelarus" (Vilnius, Lithuania), Centre for Cultural Management (Lviv, Ukraine), Millennium Foundation (Erevan, Armenia) and Social Organisation "Centre for cultural innovations" (Minsk, Belarus).

Her Excellency, Mrs. Signe Burgstaller, Ambassador of Sweden in Moldova, welcomed the participants to the event focusing in her speech on the cooperation relations between Moldova and Sweden, the need to preserve and promote historical memory, the common segment of the Moldovan and Swedish history from the beginning of the eighteenth century.

Andrei Chistol, State Secretary at the Ministry of Culture of Moldova, highlighted the role of cultural institutions, including museums, in preserving and popularizing cultural heritage in the country and abroad. He stressed that many projects were implemented in Varnița, including cultural projects, and expressed the hope that the community will support the project that was launched at the event.

Dr. hab Elena Ploșnița presented the project „Historic site Camp of King Charles XII from Varnița - valorisation and promotion". She noted that the historic site from Varnița dates back from the 18th century. King Charles XII of Sweden, after the defeat from Poltava in 1709, settled down at Bender (Tighina), and later at Varnița, together with around 1000 Swedish soldiers. On February 1, 1713, in the king's camp from Varnița took place the so-called kalanalik when the kind was captured and taken to Timurtash (today Erdine, in the European part of Turkey). He was killed in 1718 in Norway. In 1925, in the memory of the king's stay at Varnița, on the place of the former camp was erected a monument - an obelisk. The purpose of the project is the rehabilitation and public valorisation of the historic site by a series of actions: restoration of the monument of King Charles XII of Sweden, scientific valorisation and popularisation of the cultural heritage from the historic site, site development. E. Ploșnița mentioned that several actions are planned in the framework of the project, including historic and documentary research, archaeological surveys, restoration of the monument, conservation of heritage, an international scientific conference, a publication, an exhibition stand, fence around the site and the opening of the rehabilitated site to the wide public and visitors.
Veronica Ştefaniuc, president of NGO Woman. Hope. Future (Varnița) made a brief presentation about Varnița's history and present and showed information about the results of several projects unfold in the village with the support of local non governmental associations.

Architect Ion Budeci from the Agency for the Inspection and Restoration of Monuments presented a draft project for the valorisation of the site from Varnița. He presented several sketches, ideas and innovative solutions to be considered and, possibly, implemented.

Paul Diaconu, representative of the Society for the Study of History Nordisk Historia och Kultur Fömedlingen from Sweden proposed new ways of presentation of the cultural heritage from the rehabilitated historic site. He launched the idea of cooperation with the municipality of Vetlanda from Sweden and promised support to the project.
In the second part of the event, the participants visited the historic site and gave interviews for the mass-media.

Elena Ploșnița




 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.








Ask us a question now!






#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816..

Read More >>

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2020 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu