EN RO
National Museum of History of Moldova
Read Mode















#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816.

Soon the icon became very popular, and its fame increased enormously thanks to the healings that occurred thanks to the intercession of the Mother of God; the names of the healed people, their place of residence and sufferings were described in periodicals. Archimandrite Seraphim, hegumen of the monastery in from 1805 to 1827, mentioned the special veneration of the icon of the Mother of God from the Hârbovăţ Monastery by Orthodox people who are always looking for help and intercession from this icon of the Empress of The World. Believers called it a wonder-making icon even before the Holy Synod issued Decree No. 526 of January 26, 1859, signed by Emperor Alexander II, proclaiming the icon of the Our Lady of Hârbovăţ as the Wonder-Making. Recognizing the miraculous properties of this icon, the Holy Synod also organized religious processions with the delivery of the icon to Chişinău on October 1 and its subsequent return to the monastery on April 23.

The icon of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ is one of the earliest and most popular types of the Theotokos icons, that of Hodegetria. In this iconographic depiction, the Mother of God and the Child are presented in a frontal position, looking at the one who is praying. The Mother of God holds the Child on Her left hand, and with Her right hand points to Him, the Child blesses with His right hand, holding in His left hand a sacred scroll – a symbol of the Gospel. Regarding the images, it should be said that the icons of the Herbovets Mother of God differ from the traditional icons of the Hodegetria type in a special relationship between the characters, their mutual affection is expressed in poses, in the tilt of the heads, in the gentle expression of the Child’s face. We can say that in the iconography of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ, features of two different types of Theotokos are harmoniously combined: the Mother of God Hodegetria, or Our Lady of the Way, and the Mother of God Eleusa, or the Virgin of Tenderness.

Exact copies of this icon are still kept in the summer church of the Noul Neamţ Monastery in the village of Chiţcani (Căuşeni), in the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Church in the village of Sîrcova (Rezina), in the All Saints Church in Chişinău (early 20th century), in the Transfiguration Cathedral in Bolgrad, in the Transfiguration Monastery in Tatarbunary, in the Saint Paraskeva Church in the village of Furatovka (Odessa Oblast), in the Saint Archangel Michael Monastery in Odessa, in the Ascension Monastery in Teplodar (Ukraine), in the Holy Trinity Monastery in the village of Mramor, near Topolovgrad (Bulgaria), in the Holy Great Martyr Theodore Tyron Cathedral in Chişinău, in the Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Ungheni, and other churches.

Click here for a Virtual Tour of the Museum

 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Events Archive

Series of events in the framework of project “Historical Site Camp of King Charles VII of Sweden at Varnița - valorization and promotion”

May 22-23, 2017

On 22 and 23 May, 2017, the National Museum of History of Moldova, in cooperation with the Embassy of Sweden in Moldova, NGO „Women. Hope. Future" (Varnița), ArmesMuseum from Sweden (Stockholm), and the Embassy of the Republic of Moldova in Sweden organized a series of events within the project „Historical site Camp of King Charles XII of Sweden at Varnița - valorization and promotion". The project is funded by the European Union in the framework of the CHOICE / Cultural Heritage: Opportunity for Improving Civic Engagement program. In the Republic of Moldova the program is carried out by the National Association ICOM Moldova in partnership with the Association of Local Democracy Agencies ALDA (France).

The official opening of the events took place on Monday, May 22, in the Blue Room of the museum, in the presence of representatives of diplomatic missions, scholars and scientists, central and local government representatives. The event was attended by scientists, museographers, and university professors from Sweden, Ukraine, Turkey and Moldova.  

Klas Kronberg from the ArmesMuseum in Stockholm presented two volumes of studies and articles: "Karl XII" published in 2015 and "When Sweden was Ruled from the Ottoman Empire" published in 2016. Both volumes were edited by the Stockholm ArmesMuseum. The books sum up the results of the scientific research conducted within the project "When Sweden was governed from the Ottoman Empire", a project that involved Sweden, Moldova, Turkey, and Greece. Dr. Per Sandin was the project manager. All articles deserve attention, they are well developed, structured, signed by specialists from Ukraine, Turkey, Sweden and the Republic of Moldova. Publishers of the volumes are Asa Karlsson, Klas Kronberg and Per Sandin.  

The volume "Historical Site Camp of King Charles VII at Varnița. Recovery of memory" was presented by dr.hab. Elena Ploșnita. The book was published in 2017 in the Tyragetia Library series, a series promoted by the National Museum of History of Moldova. The volume was peer-reviewed by dr. Valentina Ursu and dr. hab. professor Valentin Tomuleț. E. Ploșnita noted that during the 18th,19th and 20th centuries, the national historiography and international historiography, especially the European one, produced valuable approaches to the phenomenon of Charles XII, the King of Sweden, but there are gaps in covering fully the historical site from Varnița both in chronological and spatial terms. This volume comes to fill this gap. The publication stemmed from the necessity of knowing and promoting a segment of common Moldovan-Turkish-Swedish history with implications in the history of Poland and Ukraine and as a tribute to all those who through their enthusiasm contributed to the preservation of the memory of King Charles XII of Sweden in Varnița, Moldova. Many scholars, museographers, university professors from Moldova and from abroad contributed to the publication - Victor Ţvircun, coordinating academician, ASM, dr.hab. Ion Eremia, professor, USM, dr. Dinu Poștarenco, researcher at the Institute of History of the ASM, Dr. Alexandru Levinschi, ASM, dr. Ion Tentiuc and dr. hab. Eugen Sava from the NMHM, numismatist dr. Ana Boldureanu, architect Ion Budeci, researchers from Sweden - Anders Wesslen and Oscar Sjostrom, the Ukrainians Igor Sapojnikov and Vladimir Levciuk and others. The authoritative name of the authors is a guarantee for the quality of the book. It is an intellectual achievement worth remembering through documentary value, graphic design and, of course, the significance of the scientific approach.  

During the events was opened the exhibition "Camp of King Charles VII of Sweden from Varnița. Photo-documentary testimonies". The exhibition reflects chronologically, through photography and document, the process of scientific and public valorization of the historical site "Camp of King Charles VII of Sweden in Varnița".  

In the Blue Room of the Museum took place the international conference "Historic Site Camp of the King Charles XII of Sweden in Varnița. Recovering memory". At the conference were presented 11 papers, the authors of which focused on subjects related to the life and activity of Charles XII during 1709-1713, the camp of the king in Varnița, the relations of Swedes with the Ottoman Empire and Russia at the beginning of the 18th century.  

On May 23, 2017, the participants of the conference visited the historic site Camp of King Charles VII of Sweden in Varnita. Dr.hab. Eugen Sava presented the results of the project at Varnița, mentioning that within the project was conducted archaeological research, historical and documentary research, were conserved the remains of the foundations of the Chancellery of the Swedish king from Varnița and was rebuilt the monument from the site dedicated to King Charles XII of Sweden. A meeting with the local public authorities was held at the town hall in Varnița in which were discussed issues of collaboration between various institutions in Sweden and the Republic of Moldova in order to continue the valorization on the historical site located in the village.

Elena Ploșnița


 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.








Ask us a question now!






#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816..

Read More >>

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2020 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu