EN RO
National Museum of History of Moldova
Read Mode















#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816.

Soon the icon became very popular, and its fame increased enormously thanks to the healings that occurred thanks to the intercession of the Mother of God; the names of the healed people, their place of residence and sufferings were described in periodicals. Archimandrite Seraphim, hegumen of the monastery in from 1805 to 1827, mentioned the special veneration of the icon of the Mother of God from the Hârbovăţ Monastery by Orthodox people who are always looking for help and intercession from this icon of the Empress of The World. Believers called it a wonder-making icon even before the Holy Synod issued Decree No. 526 of January 26, 1859, signed by Emperor Alexander II, proclaiming the icon of the Our Lady of Hârbovăţ as the Wonder-Making. Recognizing the miraculous properties of this icon, the Holy Synod also organized religious processions with the delivery of the icon to Chişinău on October 1 and its subsequent return to the monastery on April 23.

The icon of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ is one of the earliest and most popular types of the Theotokos icons, that of Hodegetria. In this iconographic depiction, the Mother of God and the Child are presented in a frontal position, looking at the one who is praying. The Mother of God holds the Child on Her left hand, and with Her right hand points to Him, the Child blesses with His right hand, holding in His left hand a sacred scroll – a symbol of the Gospel. Regarding the images, it should be said that the icons of the Herbovets Mother of God differ from the traditional icons of the Hodegetria type in a special relationship between the characters, their mutual affection is expressed in poses, in the tilt of the heads, in the gentle expression of the Child’s face. We can say that in the iconography of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ, features of two different types of Theotokos are harmoniously combined: the Mother of God Hodegetria, or Our Lady of the Way, and the Mother of God Eleusa, or the Virgin of Tenderness.

Exact copies of this icon are still kept in the summer church of the Noul Neamţ Monastery in the village of Chiţcani (Căuşeni), in the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Church in the village of Sîrcova (Rezina), in the All Saints Church in Chişinău (early 20th century), in the Transfiguration Cathedral in Bolgrad, in the Transfiguration Monastery in Tatarbunary, in the Saint Paraskeva Church in the village of Furatovka (Odessa Oblast), in the Saint Archangel Michael Monastery in Odessa, in the Ascension Monastery in Teplodar (Ukraine), in the Holy Trinity Monastery in the village of Mramor, near Topolovgrad (Bulgaria), in the Holy Great Martyr Theodore Tyron Cathedral in Chişinău, in the Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Ungheni, and other churches.

Click here for a Virtual Tour of the Museum

 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Publications Journal „Tyragetia"

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XIII [XXVIII], nr. 1, Arheologie. Istorie Antică
ISSN 1857-0240
E-ISSN 2537-6330

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XIII [XXVIII], nr. 1, Arheologie. Istorie Antică

Chișinău, 2019

I. Researches


Михаил Видейко
The channel kilns in Trypillia Culture and development of pottery

Наталья Бурдо
Spindle whorls of Trypillia-Cucuteni cultural unity

Florin Gogâltan
About the Absolute Chronology of the Late Bronze in the Eastern Carpathian Basin

II.    Papers and surveys


Оксана Олих, Алексей Данильченко, Елена Ревина
Mar’eva Gora in the northeastern Sea of Azov region – a Unique Archaeological Site

Александр Колесник, Никита Манько
On the typology of hammerstones from Neo-Eneolithic workshops of Donbass

Eugen Mistreanu
Settlements of Gumelniţa culture in the Prut-Dniester area (catalog)

Игорь Сапожников, Майя Кашуба
«Corpus of antiques and archaeological findings in Bessarabia» by N. Mogilyansky and Ya. Ebergardt

Виктор Мерц
Copper vessel from from Krivinka 1 settlement

Салтанат Амирова, Мильяна Радивоевич
Copper vessel from from Krivinka 1 settlement. Compositional and metallographic analysis

Елена Избицер
Wagon burials in pits of the Middle Bronze Age in the Don River basin

Виктор Гребенников
Settlements of the epoch late bronze of the left-bank Tiligul Lyman and the basin of r. Berezan (materials for the archaeological map of the Northern Black Sea Coast)

Тудор Сорочянy, Кэтэлин Добринеску, Сорин Айлинкэй, Виталие Бодоликэ, Тибериу Сава
Die Coslogeni-Fundgrube 121 von Cernavodă-„Autobahn 2, km. 152“ (Kr. Constanţa, Rumänien): Treffpunkt hervorragender osteuropäischer Bronzen und Keramik an der westlichen Schwarzmeerküste

Mariana Sîrbu, Sergiu Popovici, Vlad Vornic
The hoard of bronze artifacts discovered near village Haragîş (Cantemir district)

Margareta Simina Stanc, Daniel Ioan Malaxa, Sorin-Cristian Ailincăi
The analysis of faunal remains in Early Iron Age settlement at Enisala-Palanca (Sarichioi Commune, Tulcea County, South-Eastern Romania)

Ion Niculiţă, Aurel Zanoci, Mihail Băţ, Victor Dulgher
Archaeological investigations at the Saharna Mare / „Dealul Mănăstirii” site, Rezina district (2017-2019)

Tatiana Nagacevschi, Angela Simalcsik, Vitalie Sochircă, Margareta Simina Stanc
Interdisciplinary research at Saharna Mare / „Dealul Mănăstirii” site

Natalia Mateevici
Emblems representing deities on Sinope amphora stamps (based on the Tyras collection)

Иван Снытко, Андрей Бондаренко
Coin segments used as weights in the Olbia Polis in the 4th-3rd centuries BC

Aurel Mototolea, Tiberiu Potârniche, Simina Margareta Stanc
Recent Archaeological Investigations on the Tomitan Acropolis (2017-2018). Preliminary Study

Vasile Iarmulschi
On the chronology of the La Tène cemetery at Cammer (Lkr. Potsdam-Mittelmark)

Boris A. Raev
Roman bronzes and door knockers from the Black Sea cities of Central Anatolia. An ethnographic etude

Иван Власенко
Early medieval bone handles of knives with annular notches as one of the possible signs of ethnic attribution of the Tivertsi

Ion Tentiuc, Valeriu Bubulici
The hoard of early medieval tools and weapons found at Sadova-Călăraşi, the Republic of Moldova

Вячеслав Крыжановский
Traces of bronze casting production on the western outskirts of ancient Kyiv

Octavian Munteanu, Angela Simalcsik
Une tombe médiévale avec d’anneaux à boucles decouverte à Butuceni, la région d’Orhei (notes préliminaires)

Mariana Gugeanu, Gheorghe Postică
The research, preservation and restoration of textiles discovered during the archaeological excavations undertaken at the Căpriana Monastery

Ana Boldureanu
Chronicle of coin finds (XII-XIII)

III. Paper and book review


Ana Boldureanu
Александр Владимирович Пачкалов, Золотая Орда по данным нумизматических источников. Монография, Москвa: Кнорус, 2018, 180 pp., ISBN 978-5-4365-2528-0

IV. Scientific events


Zvezdana Dode, Dale Carolyn Gluckman
The 4th Annual Symposium of the International Association for the Study of Silk Road Textiles

V. Homage


Tudor Soroceanu
Wojciech Blajer. Oder: Die Kraft der Ruhe

Florin Gogâltan
Tudor Soroceanu şi cercetarea epocii bronzului

Sergiu Matveev
Profesorul Ion Niculiţă la 80 de ani

 


 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.








Ask us a question now!






#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816..

Read More >>

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2020 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu