EN RO
National Museum of History of Moldova
Read Mode















#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816.

Soon the icon became very popular, and its fame increased enormously thanks to the healings that occurred thanks to the intercession of the Mother of God; the names of the healed people, their place of residence and sufferings were described in periodicals. Archimandrite Seraphim, hegumen of the monastery in from 1805 to 1827, mentioned the special veneration of the icon of the Mother of God from the Hârbovăţ Monastery by Orthodox people who are always looking for help and intercession from this icon of the Empress of The World. Believers called it a wonder-making icon even before the Holy Synod issued Decree No. 526 of January 26, 1859, signed by Emperor Alexander II, proclaiming the icon of the Our Lady of Hârbovăţ as the Wonder-Making. Recognizing the miraculous properties of this icon, the Holy Synod also organized religious processions with the delivery of the icon to Chişinău on October 1 and its subsequent return to the monastery on April 23.

The icon of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ is one of the earliest and most popular types of the Theotokos icons, that of Hodegetria. In this iconographic depiction, the Mother of God and the Child are presented in a frontal position, looking at the one who is praying. The Mother of God holds the Child on Her left hand, and with Her right hand points to Him, the Child blesses with His right hand, holding in His left hand a sacred scroll – a symbol of the Gospel. Regarding the images, it should be said that the icons of the Herbovets Mother of God differ from the traditional icons of the Hodegetria type in a special relationship between the characters, their mutual affection is expressed in poses, in the tilt of the heads, in the gentle expression of the Child’s face. We can say that in the iconography of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ, features of two different types of Theotokos are harmoniously combined: the Mother of God Hodegetria, or Our Lady of the Way, and the Mother of God Eleusa, or the Virgin of Tenderness.

Exact copies of this icon are still kept in the summer church of the Noul Neamţ Monastery in the village of Chiţcani (Căuşeni), in the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Church in the village of Sîrcova (Rezina), in the All Saints Church in Chişinău (early 20th century), in the Transfiguration Cathedral in Bolgrad, in the Transfiguration Monastery in Tatarbunary, in the Saint Paraskeva Church in the village of Furatovka (Odessa Oblast), in the Saint Archangel Michael Monastery in Odessa, in the Ascension Monastery in Teplodar (Ukraine), in the Holy Trinity Monastery in the village of Mramor, near Topolovgrad (Bulgaria), in the Holy Great Martyr Theodore Tyron Cathedral in Chişinău, in the Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Ungheni, and other churches.

Click here for a Virtual Tour of the Museum

 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Events Archive

Book presentation within the European Heritage Days

24 September 2014

Book presentation
Within the framework of the European Heritage Days, the National Museum of History of Moldova held a presentation of two new publications: the first two numbers of the first volume of the journal Arheologia Preventivă în Republica Moldova (Preventive Archaeology in the Republic of Moldova) published by the National Archaeological Agency and the monograph Moneda otomană în Moldova în perioada 1512-1603 (Ottoman Coins in Moldova from 1512 to 1603) written by a museum researcher Dr. Ana Boldureanu.

The event conducted by the General Director of the National Museum of History of Moldova Dr. Eugen Sava was attended by over 100 participants: researchers, museum specialists, teachers, and students.

Spoke: Monica Babuc, Minister of Culture; Dr. Vlad Vornic, General Director of the National Archaeological Agency and the editor of the presented journal; Professor Ion Niculiță; Dr. Oleg Levițchi, Director of the Institute of Cultural Heritage of the ASM; Dr. Nikolay Tel'nov, Head of the Medieval History Sector of the Institute of Cultural Heritage of the ASM; Dr. Ion Tentiuc, Head of the Archaeology and Ancient History Sector of NMHM; State heraldist Dr. Silviu Tabac; Dr. Ana Boldureanu, author of the monograph, Head of the Medieval History and Numismatics Sector of NMHM.

Book presentation Book presentation Book presentation Book presentation

Revista Arheologia Preventivă în Republica Moldova, vol. I, nr. 1-2. Chișinău, 2014, 184 p.
Journal Arheologia Preventivă în Republica Moldova (Preventive Archaeology in the Republic of Moldova), volume I, numbers 1-2. Chișinău, 2014, 184 p.

This journal published by the National Archaeological Agency is a periodical publication aimed at the research and promotion of the national archaeological heritage, which addresses specialists and enthusiasts in the field of archeology and history as well as the general public.

The first volume of the journal presents the preliminary results of rescue and preventive archaeological investigations carried out during 2012-2013 by the National Archaeological Agency in collaboration with various specialized institutions: the National Museum of History of Moldova, the Institute of Cultural Heritage of the ASM, the State University of Moldova, the „Ion Creanga" State Pedagogical University, and  the Natural and Cultural Reserve „Old Orhei".

The journal publish the results of investigations carried out at the archaeological sites in the area of the Sarateni-Soroca route (the Neolithic site of Rogojeni, Bronze Age barrows at Rogojeni and Branzenii Noi in the Soldanesti and Telenesti districts); in the Getae fortress of Butuceni (Orhei District); at the Late Antique archaeological sites from Zamciogi (Straseni District), Sagaidacul Nou and Lipoveni (Cimislia District); at the site of the Eneolithic and Late Roman era from Alexandru cel Bun (Soroca District); in the hearth of the Vorniceni village (Straseni District); at the medieval site from Tipova-Defileul Ivanesei (Rezina District); in the old center of the Lapusna village (Hancesti District); in the Raciula Monastery (Calarasi District); in the historical and architectural complexes of the manor of Manuc Bey (Hancesti) and the manor house and arboretum of A. I. Pommer at Taul (Dondusheni District); in the historical center of Chisinau.

Research findings during 2012-2013 bring new and important contributions to understanding of the more or less distant past of our country.

A. Boldureanu. Moneda otomană în Moldova în perioada 1512-1603 (Ottoman Coins in Moldova from 1512 to 1603), Biblioteca „Tyragetia" XXIV, Chisinau, 2013
(click on title for more information on this volume).


 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.








Ask us a question now!






#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816..

Read More >>

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2020 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu