EN RO
National Museum of History of Moldova
Read Mode















#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816.

Soon the icon became very popular, and its fame increased enormously thanks to the healings that occurred thanks to the intercession of the Mother of God; the names of the healed people, their place of residence and sufferings were described in periodicals. Archimandrite Seraphim, hegumen of the monastery in from 1805 to 1827, mentioned the special veneration of the icon of the Mother of God from the Hârbovăţ Monastery by Orthodox people who are always looking for help and intercession from this icon of the Empress of The World. Believers called it a wonder-making icon even before the Holy Synod issued Decree No. 526 of January 26, 1859, signed by Emperor Alexander II, proclaiming the icon of the Our Lady of Hârbovăţ as the Wonder-Making. Recognizing the miraculous properties of this icon, the Holy Synod also organized religious processions with the delivery of the icon to Chişinău on October 1 and its subsequent return to the monastery on April 23.

The icon of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ is one of the earliest and most popular types of the Theotokos icons, that of Hodegetria. In this iconographic depiction, the Mother of God and the Child are presented in a frontal position, looking at the one who is praying. The Mother of God holds the Child on Her left hand, and with Her right hand points to Him, the Child blesses with His right hand, holding in His left hand a sacred scroll – a symbol of the Gospel. Regarding the images, it should be said that the icons of the Herbovets Mother of God differ from the traditional icons of the Hodegetria type in a special relationship between the characters, their mutual affection is expressed in poses, in the tilt of the heads, in the gentle expression of the Child’s face. We can say that in the iconography of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ, features of two different types of Theotokos are harmoniously combined: the Mother of God Hodegetria, or Our Lady of the Way, and the Mother of God Eleusa, or the Virgin of Tenderness.

Exact copies of this icon are still kept in the summer church of the Noul Neamţ Monastery in the village of Chiţcani (Căuşeni), in the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Church in the village of Sîrcova (Rezina), in the All Saints Church in Chişinău (early 20th century), in the Transfiguration Cathedral in Bolgrad, in the Transfiguration Monastery in Tatarbunary, in the Saint Paraskeva Church in the village of Furatovka (Odessa Oblast), in the Saint Archangel Michael Monastery in Odessa, in the Ascension Monastery in Teplodar (Ukraine), in the Holy Trinity Monastery in the village of Mramor, near Topolovgrad (Bulgaria), in the Holy Great Martyr Theodore Tyron Cathedral in Chişinău, in the Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Ungheni, and other churches.

Click here for a Virtual Tour of the Museum

 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Publications Journal „Tyragetia"

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XII [XXVII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
ISSN 1857-0240
E-ISSN 2537-6330

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XII [XXVII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie

Chișinău, 2018

Researches


Valentin Tomuleţ
Lists of the population and official statistics of the Russian Empire as important sources for studying the modern history of Bessarabia

Gherghina Boda
Museum education as a form of non-formal education

Papers and surveys


Katarzyna Niemczyk
Antemurale christianitatis? Anti-Turkish propaganda and the true goal of Johannes Olbracht’s crusade

Şarolta Solcan
The perception of women based on the witchcraft trials from Transylvania between the 16th and the 18th centuries

Cătălina Chelcu
Punitive Methods for Unfulfilled Taxes in Moldavia (the second half of the 17th and the first half of the 18th century)

Arnaud Parent
Vivre en bonne intelligence sur les deux rives du Dniestr: les relations diplomatiques entre la Principaute de Moldavie et la Republique des Deux Nations (1757-1763)

Игорь Сапожников
Simeon’s cave monastery near the Rogi village on the Dniester river

Sergius Ciocanu
New information on the construction of the Ascension Church in Chişinău and on its precursor – the Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul

Maria Danilov
The Bessarabian manuscript of the Anthim’s sermons

Anatolie Leşcu
Providing the Russian army with vehicles during its location in Bessarabia (1832-1853)

Andrei Emilciuc
Agents of guild merchants in Bessarabia: legal framework and entrepreneurship sphere (1812-1853)

Lilia Zabolotnaia
The strength and weakness of Alexandra Osipovna Smirnova-Rosset (on the history of the origins of one of the women of the Pushkin era)

Eugen-Tudor Sclifos
Great Britain and the issue of Southern Bessarabia in 1856-1857

Cosmin-Ştefan Dogaru
Courses de chevaux et courses d’automobiles: les clubs exclusivistes roumains entre la fin du XIXe siecle et le debut du XXe siecle

Cristina Tănase
Participation of the inhabitants of Braşov in the Austro-Hungarian patriotic efforts. The action “Gold gab ich fur Eisen” (“I give gold for iron”)

Anatolie Povestca
The legitimacy of the presence of Romanian troops in Bessarabia and the reaction of the native population to it (December 1917 - March 1918)

Elena Ploşniţa
“Golgotha” of the Monument to the Union in Chişinău

Cristina Tănase
Clock on the Tower of the Council House in Braşov: Pages of history

Lilia Crudu
The cadre policy of the top echelon of Moldavian Communist Party apparatus in 1940-1941/1944)

Nicolae Fuştei
Activity of the Romanian Orthodox Mission in Transnistria (1941-1944)

Marko Katić
The proskynetarion icon in the private collection

Дмитрий Гуревич
Neo-Byzantine liturgical set of the Russian Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna, Duchess of Edinburgh

Ana Griţco
Eminescu’s literary works and Leonard Salmen’s drawings. Research in the field of deltiology

Adelaida Chiroşca
Icons “Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane” from the collection of the National Museum of History of Moldova

Ana Griţco
An exhibition that stopped time

Unification of 1918 in museum collections


Elena Ploşniţa
The events preceding the Union of 1918 reflected in the Luminătorul Magazine

Elena Postică
From the archives of the former KGB to the possession of the museum. History of one collection

Vera Stavilă
The fighters for the unification in the collections of the National Museum of History of Moldova: Constantin Stere

Elena Postică
Anniversary exhibition “Centenary of Great Romania”

Vera Serjant
Medals from the collections of the National Museum of History of Moldova, dedicated to the event of the Great Union

Anatolie Povestca
Daniel Ciugureanu (1885-1950), a distinguished personality of the Romanian people

Paper and book review


Andrei Prohin
Andrei Timotin, Profeţii bizantine şi postbizantine în Ţările Române (secolele al XVII-lea - al XIX-lea). Bucureşti: Editura Academiei Române, 2015, 208 p. ISBN: 978-973-27-2586-3

Вячеслав Степанов
История жизни Марии Кантемир в письмах и документах, автор-составитель Лилия Заболотная. Кишинэу: «Lexon Prim», 2018, 270 с. ISBN 978-9975-139-44-1

Lilia Zabolotnaia
Helena Krasowska, The Polish Minority in South-Eastern Ukraine. Warsaw: Institute of Slavic Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences, 2017, 389 p. ISBN: 978-83-64031-65-6

 


 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.








Ask us a question now!






#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816..

Read More >>

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2020 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu