EN RO
National Museum of History of Moldova
Read Mode















#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816.

Soon the icon became very popular, and its fame increased enormously thanks to the healings that occurred thanks to the intercession of the Mother of God; the names of the healed people, their place of residence and sufferings were described in periodicals. Archimandrite Seraphim, hegumen of the monastery in from 1805 to 1827, mentioned the special veneration of the icon of the Mother of God from the Hârbovăţ Monastery by Orthodox people who are always looking for help and intercession from this icon of the Empress of The World. Believers called it a wonder-making icon even before the Holy Synod issued Decree No. 526 of January 26, 1859, signed by Emperor Alexander II, proclaiming the icon of the Our Lady of Hârbovăţ as the Wonder-Making. Recognizing the miraculous properties of this icon, the Holy Synod also organized religious processions with the delivery of the icon to Chişinău on October 1 and its subsequent return to the monastery on April 23.

The icon of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ is one of the earliest and most popular types of the Theotokos icons, that of Hodegetria. In this iconographic depiction, the Mother of God and the Child are presented in a frontal position, looking at the one who is praying. The Mother of God holds the Child on Her left hand, and with Her right hand points to Him, the Child blesses with His right hand, holding in His left hand a sacred scroll – a symbol of the Gospel. Regarding the images, it should be said that the icons of the Herbovets Mother of God differ from the traditional icons of the Hodegetria type in a special relationship between the characters, their mutual affection is expressed in poses, in the tilt of the heads, in the gentle expression of the Child’s face. We can say that in the iconography of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ, features of two different types of Theotokos are harmoniously combined: the Mother of God Hodegetria, or Our Lady of the Way, and the Mother of God Eleusa, or the Virgin of Tenderness.

Exact copies of this icon are still kept in the summer church of the Noul Neamţ Monastery in the village of Chiţcani (Căuşeni), in the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Church in the village of Sîrcova (Rezina), in the All Saints Church in Chişinău (early 20th century), in the Transfiguration Cathedral in Bolgrad, in the Transfiguration Monastery in Tatarbunary, in the Saint Paraskeva Church in the village of Furatovka (Odessa Oblast), in the Saint Archangel Michael Monastery in Odessa, in the Ascension Monastery in Teplodar (Ukraine), in the Holy Trinity Monastery in the village of Mramor, near Topolovgrad (Bulgaria), in the Holy Great Martyr Theodore Tyron Cathedral in Chişinău, in the Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Ungheni, and other churches.

Click here for a Virtual Tour of the Museum

 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Publications Journal „Tyragetia"

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XIII [XXVIII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
ISSN 1857-0240
E-ISSN 2537-6330

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XIII [XXVIII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie

Chişinău, 2019

Researches


Игорь Сапожников
The Ottoman Tatarbunary Fortress of the 17th-18th centuries: historical and topographical outline

Valentin Tomuleţ
The influence of external factors on the demographic changes in Khotyn County in the second half of the 18th - the first half of the 19th century (some generalizations about the monograph dedicated to Khotyn County)

Papers and surveys


Vasile Mărculeţ
The Vlach-Bulgarian anti-Byzantine Rebellion. Second Phase (Autumn 1186 - Autumn 1187)

Jerzy Sperka
Few remarks on relations between Wladislaus of Opole and Moldova and Wallachia

Victoria Cojocaru
“Betrayal” of Bogdan Vodă and the beginnings of the Moldavian State

Katarzyna Niemczyk
Petru Rareş and Ludovico Gritti. The story about difficult relations between the ruler of Moldova and the Turkish spy in Hungary

Lilia Zabolotnaia
Testament of Moldavian princess Maria (Lupu) Radziwill from 1659

Nicolae Dudnicenco
Vegetable growing in the towns from Rzeczpospolita and Principality of Moldova in the XVI- XVII centuries

Costin Croitoru
Contributions to the history of the Romanian vocabulary: names of Polish coins that circulated in Moldova. I. Potronic

Виктор Цвиркун
Unknown pages of the biography of C.A. Cantemir

Anna Skowronek
Poles in Russian Bessarabia – stages and reasons for their inflow

Mihai Melnic
Several stamps of craft guilds of Bessarabia of the 19th century

Vazha Kiknadze
Mateusz Gralewski about 19th century Georgia

Andrei Emilciuc
Establishment and functioning of the public granaries in Bessarabia (1834-1856)

Gherghina Boda
Aron Densuşianu: “Memories and travel impressions” of Ţara Haţegului / the Country of Haţeg (the magazine Familia, 1865-1866)

Vasile Iucal
Exposing the myth: construction of the railway bridge across the Prut River in Ungheni

Krzysztof Nowak
Integration of reborn Poland and united Romania. Similarities and differences

Dmytro Bondarenko
Poland, Romania, Finland: the formation of cordon sanitaire, 1918-1920

Henryk Walczak
The issue of compensation for expropriated Polish citizens in Romania in relations between Warsaw and Bucharest in the interwar period

Elena Chiaburu
Removing and censoring books in communist Romania: Ion Ionescu de la Brad’s case

Nicolae Fuștei
Religious Communities of Evangelical Christian Baptists in the MSSR (1944-1965)

Silviu Andrieş-Tabac
The new heraldic symbols of the towns of Criuleni, Glodeni, Străşeni

Борис Дудочкин
The History of Restoration of an Iconostasis by Andrey Rublev and the monk Daniel in the Trinity Cathedral of the Trinity Sergius Lavra

Emanuela Cernea, Adelaida Chiroşca
Remade icon from the collections of the National Museum of Art of Romania

Anatolie Povestca
The Polish medal in the collection of the National Museum of History of Moldova

Ana Griţco
The history of making the Great Union on an illustrated postcard

Vera Serjant
Testimonies about the noble family Leviţki (Lewicki) in the collections of the National Museum of History of Moldova

Elena Postică
Documentary photography exhibition “War after the War”

Elena Ploşniţa
Principles of the ICOM Code of Ethics and some issues of professional ethics in the museum system of the Republic of Moldova

Paper and book review


Игорь Сапожников
Андрій Красножон, Фортеці та міста Північно-Західного Причорномор’я (ХV-XVIII ст.). Одеса: Чорномор’я, 2018, 312 c. ISBN: 978-966-555-313-7

Yuri Pyatnitsky
Maria Vassilaki, Working Drawings of Icon Painters after the Fall of Constantinople. The Andreas Xyngopoulos Portfolio at the Benaki Museum. Athens, 2015, 453 p. $ 45. 400 copies in English and 400 copies in Greek. Produced by Peak Publishing and printed by Baxas S.A. for the A.G. Leventis Foundation, the A.G. Leventis Gallery and the Benaki Museum. ISBN 978-9963- 732-09-8 (A.G. Leventis Foundation, A.G. Leventis Gallery). ISBN 978-960-476-168-5 (Benaki Museum)

Lilia Zabolotnaia
Ştefan Lemny, Dimitrie Cantemir, un principe român în zorile Luminilor europene. A Romanian prince at the dawn of the European enlightenment. Un prince roumain à l’aube des Lumières européennes. Bucureşti: Editura Institutului Cultural Român, 2019, 186 p. + 59 ilustraţii. ISBN 978-973-577-737-1

In memoriam


Silvia Grossu
Mă doare aşa de tare somnul ei!

Lucia Marinescu
In memoriam Mihai Onilă

 


 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.








Ask us a question now!






#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816..

Read More >>

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2020 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu