EN RO















#Exhibit of the Month

>>>

The great ruler Stephen the Great, outstanding army commander and diplomat, was also concerned during his life with the economic prosperity of the country, supporting the development of crafts, trade and fairs. During his reign, groși and half groși minted in the dinar system were issued, a monetary system introduced in Moldova during the last reign of Petru Aron (1455-1457).

The coins were minted from silver of superior title, those that reflect stability in the economic life of the country at that time. Their masterful execution at the Suceava mint is among the beautiful artistic achievements during the reign of Stephen the Great.

During his reign, two types of issues were minted, for the two denominations: groși and half groși.

Type I issues have a split shield on the obverse; in the first quarter appears a rose surmounted by a cross and three fascias, in the second quarter. For the epigraph issues (groși), the image is accompanied by the circular legend with the name of the issuer: + STEFANVS VOIEVODA. On the other side appears the bour's head with a star between the horns accompanied by the heraldic furniture - the rose and the contoured crescent, placed to the right and left of the bour's head; circular legend: MOLDAVIE COIN.

On type II coins in the shield on the obverse appears a patriarchal cross (double) and the legend STEFANVSVOIEVOD or abbreviated STEFANVSVOIE. On the reverse, as in type I, the bour's head with heraldic attributes is preserved: rose right/crescent left and crescent right/rose left. A star or rose appears between the ox's horns. The legend accompanying the face with the bour head is MONETAMOLDAVI or abbreviated MONETAMOLDA.

The dating of Stephen the Great's coins is still under discussion. According to one opinion, type I issues were minted between 1457-1476, and type II between 1480/1481-1505 (Octavian Iliescu), and another 1465/1467-1475/1476 for type I and 1476/1479-1497 for type II (Ernest Oberländer-Târnoveanu).

The coins in this showcase were discovered during the archaeological excavations at Orheiul Vechi (Trebujeni, Orhei district) in the 6th and 7th decades of the 20th century:

1. Type I money issues, groși, silver
2. Type II money issues, groși, silver
3. Type II coin issue, half groși, silver

Virtual Tour


Publications Journal „Tyragetia"   vol. VI [XXI], nr. 2


Building of the Hârbovăț Community of Nurses in Chișinău (late 19th - early 20th centuries): the image and history
ISSN 1857-0240
E-ISSN 2537-6330

Building of the Hârbovăț Community of Nurses in Chișinău (late 19th - early 20th centuries): the image and history

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. VI [XXI], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie

Cultural and historical heritage of Chișinău consists of the monuments of history and art. Many of them took the form of an illustrated postcard that has become an important source of information, and author of the picture became a “field” correspondent, who transmitted the public authentic images. Such are the three photographic postcards from the collection of the National Museum of Archaeology and History of Moldova with the image of the building of the Hârbovăț Community of Nurses in Chișinău, located at the intersection of Sinadinovskaya and Fontannaya streets (now Vlaicu Pârcălab and Veronica Micle). The earliest of them was released before 1917 by the G. Sheinberg’s Book and Stationery Store in Chișinău; the other two date from the interwar period, bear the same image and differ only in the inscriptions.

This paper is a continuation of the deltiological study of museum collections and addresses the history of the building, as well as the activities of the Community.

This is one of the few buildings of that time, partly preserved in the architecture and functional use. Charitable complex was built in 1907-1912 and includes three two-storey and five one-storey buildings. The author of the project is a provincial architect A. Asvadurov (first floor), the second floor was designed by an engineer M. Chekerul- Kush, and the interior has been arranged for the British model by Bessarabian doctor T. Ciorba. Over the years, this charitable medical institution developed from a ten-bed inpatient to 40 beds, outpatient clinic served about 250 patients a day (for free), and there was a well-trained staff and well-equipped consulting rooms.

After 1918 the building became the property of the Ministry of Health and Social Protection of Romania, and in 1920 there was opened the “Regina Maria” Children’s Hospital, in honor of the visit of the royal family to Chișinău from 19 to 22 May 1920.

The complex was built by the Bessarabian Red Cross Society. The first building was consecrated on May 20, 1907, having received the patronage of the thaumaturgical icon of Our Lady from the Hârbovăț Monastery. At the head of the Community there was the committee of ladies of the Chișinău high society headed by the wives of governors of Bessarabia. A special role in the history of the Community belongs to the wives of governors Urusov, Kharuzin, and Kankrin, who laid the foundation of this medical center. As a branch of the Russian Red Cross Society, the Hârbovăț Community of Nurses provided active assistance to the wounded during World War II. From 1914 to1916 at the hospital there was functioning a school of nursing, which had two issues.

After 1918, the Chișinău Red Cross becomes the branch of the Bucharest Red Cross and was headed by Florica Niță, and then by Maria Pelivan.

After 1944, this building housed the 4th Sanatorium Department 4, and later converted to the Republican Sanatorium Clinic. Today, the part of the building is occupied by the Polyclinic of the Government Apparatus, and the “central” block houses the Coordinating Council for Television and Radio of the Republic of Moldova.

List of Illustrations:
1. Illustrated postcard “ Chișinău. Hârbovăț Community “, early XX century. Released by the Book and Stationery Store G. B. Sheinberg and Son, Chișinău. Black and white image; was not in circulation.
2. Illustrated postcard “ Chișinău. Sinadinovskaya Street. Hârbovăț Community”. Color image, circulated in 1909.
3. Ad unit of the Book and Stationery Store G. B. Sheinberg and Son in Chișinău (Nashe Ob’yedinenie 1911, 33).
4. Illustrated postcard “Chișinău. “Regina Maria” Hospital”. Published in the interwar period. Black and white image, was not in circulation.
5. Advertisement of the “Regina Maria” Hospital located in the building of the Hârbovăț Community (Anuarul 1940, 111).

Ana Grițco
A drugstore of old times Chișinău (end of 19th – beginning of 20th centuries)
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. IV [XIX], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Ana Grițco
The church – a hypostasis of the charity gesture from Bessarabia in the modern period
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. III [XVIII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Ana Grițco
The Great War. Photographic documents (The exhibition dedicated to the centenary of the First World War
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. IX [XXIV], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie Chișinău, 2015
Ana Grițco
Advertising postcards in the collections of the National Museum of the History of Moldova (late 19th c. - the 1st half of the 20th c.)
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XI [XXVI], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Ana Grițco
Royal visit to Chișinău (1920) - images and history
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. VIII [XXIII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie



 

 

Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age
  
  

Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Mondays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.


#Exhibit of the Month

The great ruler Stephen the Great, outstanding army commander and diplomat, was also concerned during his life with the economic prosperity of the country, supporting the development of crafts, trade and fairs. During his reign, groși and half groși minted in the dinar system were issued, a monetary system introduced in Moldova during the last reign of Petru Aron (1455-1457)...

Read More >>

































The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2024 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2024 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu
The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2024 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC