The present article is based on the study of newspapers “Novaya Gazeta” from the collections of NMAIM and the library of the Academy of Sciences of Moldova, the only institutions in the country where you can find this publication. The purpose of this study is to elucidate its specific features and role in the development of newspaper advertising in Bessarabia. In the period of time from 1910 to 1916, the number of newspapers published in Bessarabia, particularly in the capital of the province – the city of Chisinau, significantly increased. We focus our attention on more detailed information regarding the occurrence of a newspaper, which was “more special”, in our opinion. It is the weekly newspaper “Novaya Gazeta” (The New Gazette) published in Chisinau by G. Kalmanson from 1911 to 1913. We call it “more special” because it was intended mainly for the publication of advertisements. Few feuilletons or sections of local and foreign news, which occupied a small place and had ordinary subjects, in fact, just masked the real purpose of this newspaper. Merchant G. Kalmanson managed to publish a newspaper which had a fairly large circulation among the wealthy public, providing space for advertisements. There have been placed advertisements of the most famous trading houses, shops, restaurants, hotels, hairdressers, photographic workshops, banking offices, factories, and so on, both from Chisinau and abroad. In this newspaper G. Kalmanson himself was advertising his goods: cars, bikes, traditional and roller skates, phonographs, carbide. The newspaper successfully resisted the onslaught of competi- tion and censorship, and was published for two years.
G. Kalmanson fulfilled orders on clichés for firms, stores, and other establishments, that is one way or another had to deal with advertising already. However, publishing by him of this newspaper is the evidence that advertising has become for him a very profitable business, and allows us to consider him one of the few people who have contributed to the development of advertising in Bessarabia in the early 20th century.
List of illustrations:
1. Newspaper “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 30, June 1912 (overview of pages 1 and 4).
2. Front page of the newspaper “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 12, February 1912.
3. Ad units of the bakery of S. Tumanov, the store of church utensils of D. Spynulov, and the icon workshop of E. Prokhorenko. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 12, February 1912, page 1.
4. Ad units of the haberdashery shop of K. Yurkovskaya, the sewing workshop of I. Lyubelsky-Menshchik, the bakery of A.I. Filatov, and Zingher photographic studio. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 48, October 29, 1912, page 3.
5. Ad units of the workshop of mechanics and electroforming of Sh. Mereminsky, the hairdressing salon of Ostrovsky, the artesian wells drilling of B.O. Verner, and the shop of musical instruments of F.F. Kapras. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 14, March 1912, page 4.
6. Ad units of watchmaker Sh.L. Lyubchansky, the fish shop of E. Volkov, and the shoe store of I. Pavlyak. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 15, March 1912, page 4.
7. Advertisement of the hairdressing salon of S. Pelenovich (in all issues of the paper).
8. Ad units of works with lime, the hairdressing salon of L.K. Voskanov, tailor’s cutter N.G. Nikolaev, the repair shop of R. L. Zomen. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 30, June 1912, page 4.
9. Advertisement of G. Kalmanson’s goods. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 2 (second year of publication), November 26, 1912, page 1.
10. Ad units of the restaurant at the Noble Assembly, the restaurant of M.N. Vilchinsky, and the restaurants “Na- tional” and “Sever” (“North”). “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 48, October 29, 1912, page 1.
11. Ad units of the restaurant of the hotel „Swiss”, the owner D.I. Spasov, the hotel „Savoya” and wine from the store of G. Ţurcan. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 48, October 29, 1912, page 2.
12. Ad units to sell a car, of making cliche by G. Kalmanson, of the company „Vacuum Oil and Cº”, the factory of coaches of I. Olkhovsky, and the hat shop of B. Roitstein. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 30, June 1912, page 4.
13. Ad units of the workshop on manufacturind products of marble, labradorite, granit, and stone of I. Tsulek, roller skates sold by G. Kalmanson, and the fish shop of E.K. Volkov. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 48, October 29, 1912, page 3.
14. Ad units of the haberdashery shop of K. Yurkovskaya, the draper’s of M. Baran, bicycles of G. Schmalz at Bender, the icon workshop of G.V. Lavrov, the store and workshop of products of marble, labradorite, granit, and stone „De-Veki”, Z. Tebanov’s store, and the sale of carbide by G. Kalmanson. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 30, June 1912, page 3.
15. Ad units of tailors L. Frank and S. Sheinkerman; advertisments. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 16, March 1912, page 4.
16. Ad units of the laundry of M. Strashun, the men’s clothing store of Schwartzman și Cristul, and the pawnshop of I.R. Kaushansky. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 12, February 1912, page 3.
17. Ad units of teacher of calligraphy I.M. Slepak and the grocery store of Popov in the town of Bender. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 16, March 1912, page 1.
18. G. Kalmanson’s ad units to sell gramophones and repair bicycles (in many issues of the paper).
19. Ad units of the trading house of Khaslavsky in Odessa and dance teacher A.A. Baller. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 48, October 29, 1912, page 1.
20. G. Kalmanson’s ad units to sell the bicycles „Swift” și „Pioneer” and Malamud and Nemirovsky’s ad units to sell the pens „Kaweco”. “Novaya Gazeta”, no. 22, April 1912, page 3.