The Chișinău Diocesan Girls' School opened its doors on May 3, 1864, addressing a pressing need: in Bessarabia there were no institutions dedicated to the education of clergy's daughters. According to the 1864 circular, teaching was conducted in the Romanian language, a provision applied throughout the diocese. The school's first headmistress was Anastasia Rizo, of noble origin, invited by Archbishop Antonie.
The curriculum, approved by the Ministry of Public Education and the Chișinău Diocese, combined theoretical subjects with practical training. Students studied religion, reading and writing in Romanian, Slavonic, and Russian, arithmetic and exercises in calculation, world history and geography. The program was complemented by church singing and practical skills such as sewing, embroidery, knitting, as well as household management - baking bread and prosphora, preparing meals and preserves, caring for livestock, and cultivating gardens.
The composite, taken in 1911 at the studio of Z. N. Sumovski in Chișinău, depicts 29 graduates and 13 teachers. At the center are portraits of Bishop Serafim (Ciciagov), headmistress N. R. Mihelson, teacher V. E. Bejerian, and priests F. Ghiliarov and P. Jurikas. Among the teaching staff was Paraskovia Vasilievna Cuciurenko, a calligraphy teacher for 37 years, who in 1911 became senior educator and assistant headmistress. For her dedication, she was awarded the gold medal "For Long Service."
On the reverse of the vignette is a label from the store and workshop of frames, paintings, mirrors, and window glass owned by A. D. Kon'gova, Chișinău, Gogol Street no. 37, near the State Bank.
This graduation composite was donated at the end of 2025 to the National Museum of History of Moldova by the Dadiștian family from Drochia.
Development of secondary education in Bessarabia in 1833-1871
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. VIII [XXIII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
In this article we will analyze the development of the secondary education system in Bessarabia since 1833, when the first secular secondary public school was opened, until 1871, when the Russian Empire carried out a series of reforms, which affected the education system.
Secondary education in Bessarabia was introduced during the reign of Emperor Nicholas I (1826-1856). The Tsar’s education policy was characterized by a number of limitations. The government intended to transform the education system into a tool to maintain and strengthen the regime. To achieve this, the tsarist government undertook some reorganization of the education system. This reorganization was aimed at the organization of schools on the basis of caste principle, raising children in a religious spirit, control over schools by the police and turning them into a means of Russification of non-Russian peoples. Under the new school statute from December 8, 1828 the continuity between parochial and county schools was eliminated, resulting in a two systems of education: primary education system, which included the county and parochial schools, and the system of secondary and higher education, which included gymnasiums and universities.
The lack of systematic education in the region was strongly felt. After four years of preparatory work, on September 12, 1833 a gymnasium for boys was opened in Chisinau. It was established in accordance with the statute of 1828 and had a seven-year course of study. Initially only three primary classes were opened. However, in the short term the Chisinau male gymnasium has become one of the main institutions of secondary education in the Odessa School District.
Changes in the Russian education system affected this school too. The reform of 1864 divided the secondary schools into three categories: classical gymnasiums, “real” gymnasiums and “real” schools. Under these regulations, the Chisinau male gymnasium received the status of a classical school. Under the new regulations, the main subjects here were classical languages and mathematics.
In the same year, on March 8, there was opened the first high school for girls aimed at educating daughters of nobles, officials, merchants and representatives of other wealthy estates. The school had two primary classes and was kept at the expense of taxation of the nobility, churches and monasteries.
During 1833-1871 there were two secondary educational institutions (one for boys and one for girls) for spreading the knowledge among the Bessarabian population.
Tatiana Chicaroș
L’évolution de l’enseignement de lycée en Bessarabie sous la domination tsariste (1833-1917)
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. II [XVII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Tatiana Chicaroș
From the history of a private school for girls in Bălți
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. VII [XXII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Tatiana Chicaroș
The role of Bessarabian private schools in the educational system of the Russian Empire in the second half of the 19th - early 20th century
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. VI [XXI], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Tatiana Chicaroș
Legislative basis of secondary education in the Russian Empire in the modern era
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. V [XX], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Tatiana Chicaroș
School of exact science activity in Chișinău in period of 1873-1918
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. IV [XIX], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
The Chișinău Diocesan Girls' School opened its doors on May 3, 1864, addressing a pressing need: in Bessarabia there were no institutions dedicated to the education of clergy's daughters...
The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.