EN RO















#Exhibit of the Month

>>>

Amphoras are massive vessels originating from the ancient Greek world, executed on the potter's wheel, in which Greek merchants, in the process of their trade with other territories and peoples, transported, in particular, Greek wine, olive oil, salted olives, paints, nuts, etc. The shape of the Greek commercial amphora, in the opinion of some researchers, vaguely recalls the female figure, having, probably, at the beginning, a sacred character. Among the main features of the amphorae are well-thought-out metric proportions. The full amphora, placed in a horizontal position, rested on the body and on the elongated foot in such a way that the upper part of the vessel and the high neck were permanently raised obliquely, so that the liquid would not spill. The sharp shape of the foot required special fixation, either on special supports, or the lower part of the body was buried in the ground or sand. The deep inner cavity of the leg did not allow the liquid in the vessel to become cloudy during the transport process, the sediments remaining stored inside the leg.

Among the dozens of city-states in ancient Greece, which practiced trade with the local populations of the Black Sea region (Euxine Bridge), there is also the city of Mende (Μένδη), located on the Kassandra arm (Κασσάνδρας) of the Halkidiki peninsula (Halkidiki - Χαλκιδική). It is considered that the foundation of the city of Mende took place in the century VIII BC. The main article of trade of this Greek polis was wine, considered of superior quality and even indicated by Hippocrates as a medicine in the treatment of certain diseases. Starting with the century 6th century BC, the city of Mende experienced economic growth, especially in the Circumpontian region, and in the V-IV BC Mendiot wine appears more and more frequently in the local markets of this region.

Even some barbarian tribes, according to the Greek tradition, often used wine amphorae in the funeral process, when they were placed, as an offering, in the graves, together with other objects, which were either brought as an offering to the gods, or were intended to serve the deceased in the afterlife.

Such a funerary complex was discovered by archaeologist Nicolae Chetraru in 1987 - the Scythian tumulus no. 45 from Dubăsari. The deceased was cremated, and three amphorae and a large bronze cauldron were placed in the grave. Among the amphorae (all belonging to Greek wine centers) was one from Mende, along with two others from Chios. Since the wines of Mende and Chios were considered expensive wines, as was the bronze cauldron, their presence in this mound was an indication of a privileged financial and social position of the person cremated here.

The Mende amphora from tomb 1 of mound 45 at Dubăsari is, at the moment, the only complete vessel from this center on the territory of the Republic. Moldova, although fragments of Mendiot amphorae have also been discovered in other archaeological sites in the country.

The vessel is made of a yellowish-brown paste with chewed sand and many particles of mica. The amphora has the following basic dimensions: height - 740 mm, depth - 610 mm, maximum diameter - 390 mm.

Virtual Tour


Publications Journal „Tyragetia"   vol. IV [XIX], nr. 2


Diffusion of imperial press in Bessarabia and censorship institutions
ISSN 1857-0240
E-ISSN 2537-6330

Diffusion of imperial press in Bessarabia and censorship institutions

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. IV [XIX], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie

Looking at the local press until the end of the first half of the 19th century we attest the fact that the Russian imperial press was exclusively diffused in Bessarabia. The most spread newspapers were the tribunes – Санкт Петербургские Ведомости (Sankt Peterburgskije Vedomosti) and Московские Ведомости (Moskovskije Vedomosti). The tsarist clerks of all levels were reading Nicolae Greci’s pro-governmental paper – Северная Пчела (Severnaja Pčela). After 1830 the local archives have conserved sufficient evidences attesting the diffusion of special publications, with a mainly economical or informative character sponsored by authorities. Different departments and ministers were among the editors of these publications. The later were commissioned with the help of local administration to diffuse it in province. Many addresses and circulars registered in the Fond of Governor’s Office from Bessarabia stay as evidence to it. Also, Odessa’s periodical publications were largely spread in province starting with the third decade of the 19th century. The literary periodicals were especially popular, as for example Одесский Aльманах (Odesskij Al’manakh) whose pages contained information about Bessarabia.

The private press which never got the support of imperial authorities was also spread in the province. The information regarding its diffusion is attested by some private or governmental library catalogues only. Archival documents are concise and contradictory. The investigation of imperial press spread in province needs an approach from the perspective of a critical synthesis of data gathered from different sources and collections. The censorship and its impact on imperial press spread in Bessarabia can be traced especially by private editions. The main source of available data on the issue of imperial press diffused in province is the fond of military/civil Governor’s Office of Bessarabia. Or, such a documentation context is not favorable to our research and needs to be explained why.

• First, because it offers a unilateral perspective on the issue of diffusion of Russian press in province: a history from imperial standpoint, precisely from of the imperial clerk either from the capital Sankt-Petersburg or from Bessarabia.
• Second, local archives are not complete! Or, the issue of diffusion of imperial press in Bessarabia in the 19th century, using the archival resources can be traced only partially.

We will never get to know how the diffusion of the imperial press took place when it came to particular subscription; which were the preferences of the Bessarabian public with written press in the first half of the 19th century before the emergence of the official Bessarabian press (1854, July 17). Also, it is difficult to follow the activity of censorship institutions on imperial press from the first half of the 19th century. However, the arguments brought in discussion offer a unique opportunity to see “how was done” or, more exactly, “how was attempted to be done” the diffusion of official press in province; what was the mechanism of the imperial machinery in this direction? The article is an attempt to illustrate, based on documents, the investigated issue as objectively possible.

Maria Danilov
Ştefan Plugaru, Teodor Candu, Episcopia Hușilor și Basarabia (1598-1949). Editura PIM, Iași, 2009, 360 p.
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. IV [XIX], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Maria Danilov
The Bibliophilic value of a manuscript from Ștefan Ciobanu’s library (Ph. Wieghel, Observations on the present state of aff airs in Bessarabia, 1823)
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XI [XXVI], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Maria Danilov
Ion Constantin, Ion Negrei, Gheorghe Negru, Ioan Pelivan, părintele mișcării naționale din Basarabia, Editura: Biblioteca Bucureștilor, București, 2011, 402 p. ISBN 978-606-8337-04-3
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. VI [XXI], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Maria Danilov
Censorship, library and books (the 19th century)
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. V [XX], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Maria Danilov
Unique manuscript from the archive of Paul Gore (1860)
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. X [XXV], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie



 

 

Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
9 – 30 November 2022
 
October 12 – November 30, 2022
 
May 18, 2022 – December 31, 2022
 
Over 2500 pieces made of precious metals with historic, artistic and symbolic value
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.






#Exhibit of the Month

Amphoras are massive vessels originating from the ancient Greek world, executed on the potter's wheel, in which Greek merchants, in the process of their trade with other territories and peoples, transported, in particular, Greek wine, olive oil, salted olives, paints, nuts, etc. The shape of the Greek commercial amphora, in the opinion of some researchers, vaguely recalls the female figure, having, probably, at the beginning, a sacred character. Among the main features of the amphorae are well-thought-out metric proportions...

Read More >>


































The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2022 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2022 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu
The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2022 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC