EN RO
National Museum of History of Moldova
Read Mode















#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816.

Soon the icon became very popular, and its fame increased enormously thanks to the healings that occurred thanks to the intercession of the Mother of God; the names of the healed people, their place of residence and sufferings were described in periodicals. Archimandrite Seraphim, hegumen of the monastery in from 1805 to 1827, mentioned the special veneration of the icon of the Mother of God from the Hârbovăţ Monastery by Orthodox people who are always looking for help and intercession from this icon of the Empress of The World. Believers called it a wonder-making icon even before the Holy Synod issued Decree No. 526 of January 26, 1859, signed by Emperor Alexander II, proclaiming the icon of the Our Lady of Hârbovăţ as the Wonder-Making. Recognizing the miraculous properties of this icon, the Holy Synod also organized religious processions with the delivery of the icon to Chişinău on October 1 and its subsequent return to the monastery on April 23.

The icon of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ is one of the earliest and most popular types of the Theotokos icons, that of Hodegetria. In this iconographic depiction, the Mother of God and the Child are presented in a frontal position, looking at the one who is praying. The Mother of God holds the Child on Her left hand, and with Her right hand points to Him, the Child blesses with His right hand, holding in His left hand a sacred scroll – a symbol of the Gospel. Regarding the images, it should be said that the icons of the Herbovets Mother of God differ from the traditional icons of the Hodegetria type in a special relationship between the characters, their mutual affection is expressed in poses, in the tilt of the heads, in the gentle expression of the Child’s face. We can say that in the iconography of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ, features of two different types of Theotokos are harmoniously combined: the Mother of God Hodegetria, or Our Lady of the Way, and the Mother of God Eleusa, or the Virgin of Tenderness.

Exact copies of this icon are still kept in the summer church of the Noul Neamţ Monastery in the village of Chiţcani (Căuşeni), in the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Church in the village of Sîrcova (Rezina), in the All Saints Church in Chişinău (early 20th century), in the Transfiguration Cathedral in Bolgrad, in the Transfiguration Monastery in Tatarbunary, in the Saint Paraskeva Church in the village of Furatovka (Odessa Oblast), in the Saint Archangel Michael Monastery in Odessa, in the Ascension Monastery in Teplodar (Ukraine), in the Holy Trinity Monastery in the village of Mramor, near Topolovgrad (Bulgaria), in the Holy Great Martyr Theodore Tyron Cathedral in Chişinău, in the Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Ungheni, and other churches.

Click here for a Virtual Tour of the Museum

 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Publications Journal „Tyragetia"   vol. IX [XXIV], nr. 2

The Gagauz in the context of the Romanian-Turkish relations in the period from 1918 to 1940: History and personalities
ISSN 1857-0240
E-ISSN 2537-6330

The Gagauz in the context of the Romanian-Turkish relations in the period from 1918 to 1940: History and personalities

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. IX [XXIV], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie Chișinău, 2015

Abstract

The article first introduces unknown documents from the archives of Turkey, Romania and the Republic of Moldova related to the "Gagauz problem" in the context of the Romanian-Turkish relations. The authors have paid attention mainly on the education field, where Turkish cultural and ideological influence was the most noticeable. In the dissemination of the policy of the Turkish identity among the Gagauz in Bessarabia, Turkish government largely relied on Gagauz intellectuals and the youth. Therefore, Turkish teachers Zahit Mehmet Boztuna, Hasan Belal Kilic Ahmed Mehmed, Sali Ismail, Osman Abdullah, Ali and Bayram Cantarelli, and others were sent to Gagauz villages. They had an appropriate authorization from the Romanian Ministry of National Education to teach Turkish language for two hours a week and provided the training in the Gagauz and Bulgarian-Gagauz villages of Comrat, Congaz, Kubey, Chadir-Lunga, Congaz, etc. According to some reports, their activities were funded from the Turkish and partly from the Romanian budget. At the same time, the Turkish government encouraged Gagauz young people to enter secondary, high and specialized secondary schools in Ankara and Istanbul. Students were guaranteed a hostel, training for the budget account and scholarships. The article reflects a huge role of the Turkish Ambassador in Romania Hamdullah Subhi Tanriyover (1931-1944), who initiated and conducted most of the work on the organization of Turkish language teaching in Gagauz villages, provision of textbooks and teacher training.

List of the illustrations (photographs from St. S. Bulgar's personal archive):
Fig. 1. The Turkish Ambassador in Romania Hamdullah Subhi Tanriyover (1931-1944).
Fig. 2. Turkish teacher Osman Abdullah and his wife Anastasia (Sakally). Kubey village, 1940.
Fig. 3. School-leaving certificate of Semen Vasilyevich Donchev (born in 1931) from the village of Cîrlaneni, signed by the school director Ali Cantarell (former teacher of Turkish language). 20.08.1946.
Fig. 4. Gagauz students during studying in the Men's Teacher Training College. Istanbul, 1939.
Fig. 5. Gagauz students with the teachers during the studies in the Men's Teacher Training College. Istanbul, 1939. Fig. 6. Building of a male school. Istanbul, 1930s.
Fig. 7. Sleeping quarters of a male school. Istanbul, 1930s.
Fig. 8. Gagauz students while studying in the Men's Teacher Training College. Istanbul, 1938.
Fig. 9. The order signed by the President of Turkey Atatürk: the admission to study at the Galatasaray High School.
Istanbul, 1934.
Fig. 10. Building of the Galatasaray High School. Istanbul, 2014.
Fig. 11. Magazine "VARLIK" (1939, ѡ 139), which published the works of folklore collected by P. Zavrak in Gagauz villages of Bessarabia.
Fig. 12. Brothers Pyotr and Dimitry Zavrak (left to right). Turkey, 1941.
Fig. 13. Intellectuals of Vulcanești village with representatives of the Romanian authorities in 1939 (Irina Bulgar stands in the second row, third from right).
Fig. 14. Emin Mutaf (George Mutafov), Vice President of the Aegean University in Izmir, Turkey. 1960s.
Fig. 15. Vasily Chebanov (Özdemir Chobanoglu) while studying in the Bolgrad Grammar School (in center, in a white hat). 1937.
Fig. 16. Vasily Chebanov (Özdemir Chobanoglu).
Fig. 17. Letter from Hamdullaha Subhi Tanryѐver to Özdemir Chobanoglu (Vasily Chebanov). 04.28.1964.
Fig. 18. Teacher's Certificate issued to Özdemir Chobanoglu (Vasily Chebanov) by the Ministry of Culture of Turkey in 1939.
Fig. 19. Musicologist and composer Veysel Arseven (Vasily Ёkyuzchyu) with his family. Ankara, Turkey, 1960s.
Fig. 20. Director of the Galatasaray High School Ali Kaigy (George Kaikeyi). Istanbul, 1965.
Fig. 21. From the personal file of the French language teacher Ali Kaigy (George Kaikeyi), Galatasaray High School.
Istanbul, 1965.
Fig. 22. Undocumented immigrants, issued to Mete Kargalyk (Dimitry Gargalic) in 1940 in the Republic of Turkey. Fig. 23. Certificate of assigning an oҌcer rank, issued to Mete Kargalyk (Dimitry Gargalic) after service in the
Turkish army. 1947.



 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.








Ask us a question now!






#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816..

Read More >>

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2020 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu