EN RO
Read Mode















 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Publications :: Journal „Tyragetia" :: vol. II [XVII], nr. 1

The Giurgiulești earthen fortress. Preliminary research results
ISSN 1857-0240
E-ISSN 2537-6330

The Giurgiulești earthen fortress. Preliminary research results

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. II [XVII], nr. 1, Arheologie. Istorie Antică

The Giurgiulești earthen fortress is situated on the left bank of the Prut river, on a high cape, at a distance of approximately 1500 meters from where the river flows into the Danube and defends the shallow river known as “Vadul Boului”. Several opposite hypotheses have been advanced regarding provenance and dating of the fortress.

In connection with the building of a section of the railroad Cahul-Giurgiulești in 2007, along the route and on the cape “Cetatea” very limited rescue excavations were carried out. Thus, a ditch and burnt remains of a wooden palisade have been discovered as the result of excavations. “Mushatin type” ceramic vessels were found at the bottom of the ditch, researched and dated second half of 15th - beginning of 16th centuries.

Inside the earthen fortress a half-earth type construction (12×12 m) had been revealed and partially researched. The pottery allowed to date the construction to 18th – beginning of 19th centuries.

It is proposed that the earth fortress near Giurgiulești was constructed in view of the deterioration of the political and military situation in the Lower Danube in the middle 80s of the 15th century.

Apparently, it was erected before the Ottoman forces conquered the Moldavian fortresses Chilia and Cetatea Albă in 1484 or right after their loss in order to fortify the southern boundaries of Moldova along the Lower Troian mound. According to the Moldavian chronicle, several earthen and stone fortresses such as Birlad, Tintiul, Cetatea Nouă, and Palanca on the Dniester river had been constructed, restored and fortified because of the Turkish invasion. Among them could be constructed the earthen fortress on the Prut river researched by us which subsisted for a very short time.

In the end of 18th – beginning of 19th centuries during Russo-Turkish wars, food and household warehouses were constructed inside the deserted fortress, afterwards revealed by the archaeologists.


 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2019 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: museum@starnet.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu