EN RO















#Exhibit of the Month

>>>

The exposed object, an "askos" type ceramic vessel, comes from the tumulus necropolis near the village of Ciumai, Taraclia district. The vessel was discovered in 2015 in a cenotaph tomb attributed to the Jamnaja culture, dated to the early Bronze Age (ca. 3300-2600 BC).

The vessel, with an obviously asymmetrical configuration, is hand-moulded from quality clay paste, having a smooth brown surface with gray spots. The body of the vessel is provided with a pronounced protrusion and a truncated neck with a wider opening towards the mouth. The vessel has a stem and is ornamented with three pairs of symmetrically placed relief appliqués. The height of the bowl is 15.5 cm, the diameter of the mouth is 11.4 cm, the diameter of the body is 15 cm and the diameter of the base is 7.5 cm. Such vessels in the archaeological literature are known as "askos" vessels, the respective term being of ancient Greek origin, denoting one of the primitive containers of the period - the bellows made of animal skin.

In prehistoric times, among some peoples, the bellows was transposed into ceramics, in these cases the basic features of the archaic leather vessel were preserved, acquiring a prominent convex shape with a stem and a flat bottom. From the original appearance of the bellows, the asymmetric mouth corresponding to the animal's neck has been preserved, and sometimes three or four legs, corresponding to the appendages of the flayed skin from the animal's legs. These vessels have lost their original zoomorphic character, entering as a new form in the inventory of Neo-Eneolithic ceramics. The first vessels of this type are attested in Greece, in the early Neolithic (ca. 5000-4500 BC) having the shape of cups or cups. In the Neo-Eneolithic Carpatho-Balkan cultures, the type of Aegean askos of short or tall form, with or without legs and with a handle, is found. Less often, they are provided with two mouths (one for filling and one for emptying) or they are off-center and provided with strangely shaped mouths. In the space between the Carpathians and the Dnieper, only tall forms of simple askos, without zoomorphic elements, are known. Askos-type vessels are present in various prehistoric cultures, especially in Southeast Europe and Anatolia.

Being often discovered in association with cult inventory, askos vessels could be an important indicator of use in religious ritual practices. Along with the zoomorphic, anthropomorphic and rhyton-type vessels (roughly conical container from which, in some ceremonies, liquids were drunk or poured), the askos were included in the category of vessels intended for worship, being related to libations (ritual act that consisted of tasting and then pouring a cup of wine, milk, etc. as homage to the deity).

Virtual Tour


Publications Journal „Tyragetia"   vol. VIII [XXIII], nr. 2


The magazine „Kishinyovskie Eparkhial′nye Vedomosti
ISSN 1857-0240
E-ISSN 2537-6330

The magazine „Kishinyovskie Eparkhial′nye Vedomosti" („Chisinau Diocesan Journal") as a means of advertising (1867-1917)

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. VIII [XXIII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie

The topic of this article relates to the area of advertising. It reflects the implementation of advertising in the official religious magazines; in this case we are talking about the magazine „Kishinyovskie Eparkhial′nye Vedomosti" („Chisinau Diocesan Journal"). This Bessarabian periodical was published for more than 50 years. Its publication was an important event in the spiritual life of the entire diocese and clergy. Advertisements were placed in the informal part of the publication. Investigation of the collection of magazines from the National Museum of History of Moldova led us to the conclusion that the first advertisements were devoted exclusively to publishing issues.

Commercial advertising appears towards the end of the 19th century. Its development was unstable, which led to its disappearance in recent years of edition. The role of advertising in the diocesan publication was modest and insignificant, as the church authorities have not seen the advertisement as a source of obtaining fi nance. However, the magazine performed advertising functions. There were published advertisements of Chisinau shopkeepers who traded church utensils, of iconographic workshops for painting icons and iconostases, tailoring establishments making church vestments. The list of advertisements includes a number of local companies that offered consumers - Bessarabian priests products and services related to everyday life.

List of illustrations:

1. Information on the cost of advertisements in the magazine „Kishinyovskie Eparkhial′nye Vedomosti" (KEV), published in no. 10, 1908.
2. Page from the index of advertisements for 1905, published in KEV no. 2, 1906.
3. Fragment of advertisement of F. Ivanov's church goods store, published in KEV no. 5-6, 1868.
4. Advertisement of S. Bolgarov's fretwork factory, published in KEV no. 22, 1871.
5. Advertising of E. Prokhorenko's iconostasis workshop, published in KEV no. 20, 1899.
6. Advertising of E. Shliomovich's book and stationery store „Education", published in KEV no. 19, 1900.
7. Advertising of A. Koenigschatz's warehouse of pharmaceutical and cosmetic products, published in KEV no. 5, 1900.
8. Ad unit of N. Gozhanskaya's women's clinics with maternity, published in KEV no. 13, 1901.
9. Ad unit of N.O. Shakh's bookstore, published in KEV no. 5, 1904.
10. Advertising of D. Spynulov's church utensils store, published in KEV no. 12, 1904.
11. Advertising of E. Shliomovich's warehouse of agricultural machines and implements, published in KEV no. 5, 1904.
12. Ad unit of D. Kara-Stoyanov's church utensils store, published in KEV no. 4, 1904.
13. Advertising of I.A. Belotserkovsky's fur shop, published in KEV no. 16, 1899.
14. Advertising of the „Batalin and Prokhorenko" icon workshop, published in KEV no. 6, 1903.
15. Tea shop advertisement, published in KEV no. 20 for 1909.
16. Advertising of V.I. Vorobyova's musical instruments shop, published in KEV no. 34, 1907.
17. Ad unit of F.I. Molyavin's iconostasis workshop, published in the newspaper „Drug" („Friend") no. 15, 1914.
18. Advertising of G.V. Lavrov's icons and iconostasis workshop, published in the newspaper „Drug" („Friend") no. 81, 1914.
19. Advertisement of the iconostasis master K.A. Sidenko, published in the newspaper „Drug" („Friend") no.77, 1914.

Vera Serjant
Medals from the collections of the National Museum of History of Moldova, dedicated to the event of the Great Union
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XII [XXVII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Vera Serjant
V. Dokuchaev Commemorative Medal in the collection of the National Museum of History of Moldova
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XVI [XXXI], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Vera Serjant
The collection of Professor Gheorghe Rașcu from the holdings of the National Museum of History of Moldova as an important source on the history of education in interwar Bessarabia
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XVII [XXXII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Vera Serjant
Materials related to the elite of the nobility of Bessarabia – the families of Cantacuzin and Krupensky in the collections of the National Museum of the History of Moldova
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XI [XXVI], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Vera Serjant
The role of Bessarabian Zemstva in opening the school of viticulture and winemaking from Saharna
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. IV [XIX], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie



 

 

Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age
  
  

Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.


#Exhibit of the Month

The exposed object, an "askos" type ceramic vessel, comes from the tumulus necropolis near the village of Ciumai, Taraclia district. The vessel was discovered in 2015 in a cenotaph tomb attributed to the Jamnaja culture, dated to the early Bronze Age (ca. 3300-2600 BC)...

Read More >>

































The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2024 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2024 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu
The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2024 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC