EN RO















#Exhibit of the Month

The history of silverware goes back over 5,000 years, but only in the 3rd millennium BC, in Mesopotamia and Anatolia, the first pieces of processed silver were made. From there, the art of working with silver spread to Persia and to Europe, where already in Roman and Greek antiquity it reached a high level of skill. Many of the techniques used then, such as casting, embossing and engraving, are still used today.

The National Museum of History of Moldova possesses a rich collection of silver items, which in a special way reflects the everyday life of people of the 18th-20th centuries. The typological range of objects that make up the collection includes both secular and ecclesiastical silverware: fruit vases, bonbonnieres, cutlery, tea and coffee preparation and serving sets, salt-cellars, handbags, snuffboxes and cigarette cases, candelabra, as well as icon cases, chalices, pectoral crosses, candlesticks, and so on.

Products of renowned jewelers, such as Fabergé, Khlebnikov, Sazikov in Russia, Elkington in England, Christofle in France or Norblin and Fraget in Poland stand out for their special quality and luxury. A significant item in the museum's silverware collection is the teapot on a stand with a spirit lamp (bouillotte), made in the Christofle workshop in France.

The Christofle workshop was founded in Paris in 1830 by Charles Christofle. The workshop, which was the court supplier of the Emperor of France Napoleon III, the Emperor of Mexico and the Tsar of Russia, created decorative and household pieces of rare beauty. It was also highly appreciated by the Royal House of Romania, which granted the workshop a supplier patent. In 1842, Charles Christofle bought a patent for electroplating, a technique that involved first coating a metal base with copper and then with nickel and silver. It was this technique that allowed him to mass-produce silver tea sets, which were very popular at the time. Tea, brought to Europe in 1610 by the East India Company, was an expensive commodity that gradually gained popularity. The oldest preserved teapots, dating from the 1670s, were small. As tea gained popularity, larger teapots began to be produced, shaped to match the fashion of the time.

According to Christofle catalogs, the model was produced in 1868 and fascinates with its elegance and refinement. The teapot has a complex design including a pear-shaped container, the surface of which is ornamented with guilloché in the Louis XVI style of the late 1780s. In the upper and lower parts of the body it is decorated with a border with tulips on protrusions, and in the center, it has an escutcheon with an engraved double frame. The teapot is equipped with a folding basket-like handle decorated with triple rings, and a lid with a knob. There are two rivets on the teapot for attaching it to the stand. A spirit lamp with a straight handle and a device for lifting the wick is fixed in the middle of the stand. The item has the Christofle stamp and is made of nickel silver.

The teapot on a stand with a spirit lamp, made in the Christofle workshop, harmoniously combines the value of a unique object and a sample of a large industrial series.

Dimensions: H.: 43 cm; W.: 24 cm.

Virtual Tour


Publications Journal „Tyragetia"   vol. VII [XXII], nr. 2


Agricultural advertising in periodicals of the late 19th - early 20th centuries from the collection of NMHM
ISSN 1857-0240
E-ISSN 2537-6330

Agricultural advertising in periodicals of the late 19th - early 20th centuries from the collection of NMHM

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. VII [XXII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie

Depending on the stage of development, advertising as a historical phenomenon was expanding its sphere of influence penetrating more and more in various spheres of human activity. Agriculture, which is an important branch of the national economy closely related to the trade, always needs advertising. The absence of serfdom and the agrarian reforms have contributed to the integration of Bessarabian agriculture into the system of market relations. Local farmers needed promotion and marketing of agricultural products. For this they applied to various means of advertising. Agricultural advertisings can be found in the pages of the Bessarabian press from the late 19th - early 20th centuries. Most often, they were printed in publications of agricultural profile. An example is the magazine "Bessarabskoe sel'skoe khozyaistvo" ("Bessarabian Agriculture"), the publication of Agronomic Section of the Bessarabian Naturalists' Society and the Chișinău Department of the Imperial Russian Society for Horticulture. The magazine was published from 1908 to 1917.

In the collection of MNHM there are 28 issues of this magazine (in all there were 240 issues). The years of publication: 1909, 1910, 1912 and 1916. They are the main source of research on the topic.

The aim of this work is to determine the themes of agricultural advertisements and their contribution to the im- provement of agricultural management in Tsarist Bessarabia.

All issues of the journal had the ads section. Regular customers of the journal were both local and foreign manufac- turers. Among the local: Fruit an Grape Nurseries "EKO" (Soroca); Bucovăț Fruit and Grape Nurseries; Baron A. Stuart's Fruit Nursery (Chișinău); Cocorozeni Agricultural School; E.P. Melega-Kuzminskaia's estate of Temeleuți and F.F. Köppen's estate of Voinovo-Ikel; Horticulture, Viticulture and Winemaking Bureau and Storage of Agricultural Machinery of N.G. Kavsan (Chișinău), etc. The ads offered planting material tested in local climate: fruit trees, local and foreign varieties of grape vine grafted onto American rootstocks, seed crops, as well as purebred cattle. Among the proposals there were met agricultural tools and machines made by known foreign firms.

List of illustrations:

I. Magazine "Bessarabskoe sel'skoe khozyaistvo" ("Bessarabian Agriculture") (БСХ, №5, 1909) (title page).

II. Ad unit of the Bucovăț Fruit and Grape Nurseries (БСХ, almost in all the issues).

III. Advertising of the Fruit an Grape Nurseries «EKO» (БСХ, №18, 1910).

IV. Advertisement of Baron A. Stuart's Fruit Nursery (БСХ, №13, 1909).

V. Advertising of E.P. Melega-Kuzminskaia's seed farms (БСХ, №5, 1910).

VI. Ad unit of F.F. Köppen's estate of Voinova-Ichel (БСХ, №1, 1909).

VII. Advertising of the Cocorozeni Agricultural School (БСХ, №3, 1909).

VIII. Advertisement of the Ialoveni Agricultural Society (БСХ, №5, 1909).

IX. Advertising of wines of V.V. Yanovsky (Бессарабский юбилейный сельскохозяйственный календарь, 1912).

X. Advertising of the "nests" from "The Yanovka Farm" (БСХ, №17, 1910).

XI. Ad unit of the Horticulture, Viticulture and Winemaking Bureau and Storage of Agricultural Machinery of N.G. Kavsan (Chișinău) (БСХ, №11, 1910).

XII. Ad unit of the Dayber Brothers' Nursery Garden, Odessa (БСХ, №24, 1910).

XIII. Advertisement of S.R. Rothe's Nursery Garden, Odessa (БСХ, №18, 1910).

XIV. Advertising of L.P. Simirenko's Fruit Nursery, Horodysche, the Kiev Governorate (БСХ, №17, 1910).

XV. Advertising of the French grape nursery "Paul Gros Royan", the General Representative in Russia - Trading house "Jacob Haslavsky", Odessa (БСХ, №23, 1910).

XVI. Ad unit of the winnowing and grain cleaning machines marketed by Alfred Grodzky, Warsaw (БСХ, №17, 1910)

XVII. Advertising of scythes and sickles by "J. Mintzer and Kº", Austria (БСХ, №23, 1910).

XVIII. Advertising of Alfred Grodzky's sowing machines "Superior", Warsaw (БСХ, №17, 1910).

XIX. Ad unit of Wloclawek Wire Works, the Warsaw Governorate (БСХ, №6, 1910).

Vera Serjant
Bessarabian daily newspapers as a means of advertising. From the collection of periodicals of NMHM (end of 19th - early 20th centuries)
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. IX [XXIV], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie Chișinău, 2015
Vera Serjant
Materials related to the elite of the nobility of Bessarabia – the families of Cantacuzin and Krupensky in the collections of the National Museum of the History of Moldova
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XI [XXVI], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Vera Serjant
Medals from the collections of the National Museum of History of Moldova, dedicated to the event of the Great Union
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XII [XXVII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Vera Serjant
Some reflections about the advertisement in Bessarabia (end of the 19th - beginning of the 20th centuries)
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. III [XVIII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
Vera Serjant
The legacy of Vasile Stroescu
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XIV [XXIX], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie


 

 

Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.






#Exhibit of the Month

The history of silverware goes back over 5,000 years, but only in the 3rd millennium BC, in Mesopotamia and Anatolia, the first pieces of processed silver were made. From there, the art of working with silver spread to Persia and to Europe, where already in Roman and Greek antiquity it reached a high level of skill. Many of the techniques used then, such as casting, embossing and engraving, are still used today...

Read More >>
































The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2022 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2022 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu
The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2022 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC