EN RO
National Museum of History of Moldova
Read Mode















#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816.

Soon the icon became very popular, and its fame increased enormously thanks to the healings that occurred thanks to the intercession of the Mother of God; the names of the healed people, their place of residence and sufferings were described in periodicals. Archimandrite Seraphim, hegumen of the monastery in from 1805 to 1827, mentioned the special veneration of the icon of the Mother of God from the Hârbovăţ Monastery by Orthodox people who are always looking for help and intercession from this icon of the Empress of The World. Believers called it a wonder-making icon even before the Holy Synod issued Decree No. 526 of January 26, 1859, signed by Emperor Alexander II, proclaiming the icon of the Our Lady of Hârbovăţ as the Wonder-Making. Recognizing the miraculous properties of this icon, the Holy Synod also organized religious processions with the delivery of the icon to Chişinău on October 1 and its subsequent return to the monastery on April 23.

The icon of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ is one of the earliest and most popular types of the Theotokos icons, that of Hodegetria. In this iconographic depiction, the Mother of God and the Child are presented in a frontal position, looking at the one who is praying. The Mother of God holds the Child on Her left hand, and with Her right hand points to Him, the Child blesses with His right hand, holding in His left hand a sacred scroll – a symbol of the Gospel. Regarding the images, it should be said that the icons of the Herbovets Mother of God differ from the traditional icons of the Hodegetria type in a special relationship between the characters, their mutual affection is expressed in poses, in the tilt of the heads, in the gentle expression of the Child’s face. We can say that in the iconography of the Mother of God of Hârbovăţ, features of two different types of Theotokos are harmoniously combined: the Mother of God Hodegetria, or Our Lady of the Way, and the Mother of God Eleusa, or the Virgin of Tenderness.

Exact copies of this icon are still kept in the summer church of the Noul Neamţ Monastery in the village of Chiţcani (Căuşeni), in the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Church in the village of Sîrcova (Rezina), in the All Saints Church in Chişinău (early 20th century), in the Transfiguration Cathedral in Bolgrad, in the Transfiguration Monastery in Tatarbunary, in the Saint Paraskeva Church in the village of Furatovka (Odessa Oblast), in the Saint Archangel Michael Monastery in Odessa, in the Ascension Monastery in Teplodar (Ukraine), in the Holy Trinity Monastery in the village of Mramor, near Topolovgrad (Bulgaria), in the Holy Great Martyr Theodore Tyron Cathedral in Chişinău, in the Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Ungheni, and other churches.

Click here for a Virtual Tour of the Museum

 
National Museum of History of Moldova
 

Publications Journal „Tyragetia"

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. VII [XXII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie
ISSN 1857-0240
E-ISSN 2537-6330

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. VII [XXII], nr. 2, Istorie. Muzeologie

Chișinău, 2013

I. Researches


Valentin Tomuleț
The legal status of călărași in Bessarabia: from Moldovan traditions to the Russian imperial administrative system

Andrei Emilciuc
West- European books in Bessarabia: ways of distribution and government oversight (1812-1862)

II. Papers and surveys


Vasile Mărculeț, Ioan Mărculeț
Byzantine military-administrative units in the Eastern Bulgaria and on the Lower Danube during the reign of John I Tzimisces

Silvia Barcari
Historiographical reflections on local and transit trade relations on the Prut-Dniester area and the Lower Danube (late 13th - 14th century

Лора Тасева
The Kishinev copy of three 14th-century anti-latin writings

Андрей Красножон
On finding of once lost building plates of the 15th century from the fortress of Belgorod

Dumitra Bulei
Cultural life and printed books during the reign of Matei Basarab

Lilia Zabolotnaia
The destiny of woman in the history of Moldavia. Myths and realities about Catherine the Circassian – the second wife of the hospodar Vasile Lupu

Jackson Little
The Slavic kalabalik: the Pruth campaign, Charles XII’s Swedish camp at Bender and the rise of pan-slavism (A Theory on Peter I’s campaign in Wallachia, Moldova and its Legacy)

Alina Felea
Some categories of epitaphs in Moldova and neighboring countries in the 17th - early 19th centuries

Vlad D. Ghimpu
What was the original structural plan of the Church of the Assumption of Our Lady in the Căpriana Monastery?)

Irina Cereș
Aspects of economic relations between the Russian Empire and the Principality of Moldova in the late 18th - early 19th centuries

Игорь Гулянович
Urbanonyms of Southern Bessarabia in the middle of the 19th century (Akkerman, Izmail (Tuchkov), Kiliya): general trends and characteristics

Liliana Condraticova
L’orfèvrerie ecclésiastique du Bessarabie (1812- 1827)

Valentin Tomuleț, Victoria Bivol
Representatives of bourgeois elite in Bessarabia: Greek merchant Pantelei Sinadino (1830-1850)

Igor Cereteu
A manuscript about clergymen of the Nativity Cathedral in Chișinău during 1840-1851

Tatiana Chicaroș
From the history of a private school for girls in Bălți

Cristina Gherasim
Confirmation of the titles of nobility by Bessarabian nobles in the first half of the 19th century: The noble family of Frunzetti (Frunză)

Manole Brihuneț
Des législations sur la consolidation des nécropoles et la construction des églises dans les cimetières dans la première moitié du XIXe siècle

Dinu Poștarencu
Additions and clarifications on the biography of Ioan Pelivan

Cristina Tănase
Charitable activities of the Stroesku’s family in Brașov

Maria Danilov
Valuable books from the library of Paul Gore (Identification and/or inventory of sources)

Silvia Scutaru
Bessarabian clergy during the First World War

Marian Petcu
Three Political and Journalistic Events in Romania (1925-1927)

Alexandru Furtună
Church of St. Elijah in the town of Telenești (from the time of foundation until the beginning of 20th century)

Nicolae Fuștei
The “League of Militant Atheists” (1925- 1947) in the struggle against religion

Angela Lisnic, Nadejda Scobioală
Teachers’ salaries in the totalitarian system

Igor Cașu
National Liberation Movement in the Moldavian SSR, 1989-1991: some contributions

Jerzy Hatłas
The Bulgarians in Transnistria

Gheorghe Pisica
On the multi-party system in the Republic of Moldova

Silviu Andrieș-Tabac
Les symboles héraldiques de la commune de Lipnic, district d’Ocnița

Sergiu Dobrea
On the origin and development of portable firearms (14th-19th centuries)

Всеволод Образцов, Юрий А. Пятницкий
Holy images on blades: unique swords from the State Hermitage Museum (preliminary publication)

Elena Postică
The exhibition „Soviet Moldova: Between Myths and the Gulag"

Vera Stăvilă
Movie posters from the collection of the National Museum of History of Moldova

Vera Serjant
Agricultural advertising in periodicals of the late 19th - early 20th centuries from the collection of NMHM

Ana Grițco
Amusement places in Chișinău. Cafe Man’kov (Late 19th century - the 30ies of 20th century)

Adelaida Chiroșca
The image of Our Lady of Hârbovăț from the collection of icons of the National Museum of History of Moldova

Lucia Marinescu-Tonu
The exhibition “In the World of Toys”

Elena Ploșnița
Museum Event 2013: International Project When Sweden was ruled from Moldova

Elena Ploșnița
Museology: an academic discipline or form of cultural activity?

III. Paper and book review


Ion Chirtoagă
Demir Dragnev, Istorie și civilizație medievală și modernă timpurie în Ţările Române. Studii și materiale, Chișinău: Cartdidact-Civitas, 2012, 596 p. ISBN 978-9975-9847-1-3

Maria Danilov
Dinu Poștarencu, Destinul românilor basarabeni sub dominația țaristă, Chișinău: CEP USM, 2012, 546 p. ISBN 978-9975-71-322-1

 


 

 


Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age

  
  
Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Fridays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.








Ask us a question now!






#Exhibit of the Month

It is said that the icons, by the divine grace they have, choose their own places from where they can manifest their powers of blessing and consolation. It so happened that one icon of the Mother of God has remained on our lands from the end of the 18th century, when the battles of the Russo-Turkish war of 1787-1791 took place here. The circumstances of the appearance of this icon in Bessarabia are confirmed by several historical references, from which it follows that the Russian officer N.A. Albaduev, a participant in the military campaign, brought this icon here with him, and after his death his relatives – the colonel’s wife or his mother – gave this icon to the monastery, where he suddenly died when he came there on Christmas to receive communion. The icon of the Mother of God was initially placed in the old wooden church, where the officer’s grave was located, and then was placed in the new Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, built and consecrated in 1816..

Read More >>

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2020 National Museum of History of Moldova
31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu