EN RO















#Exhibit of the Month

>>>

One of the great technical achievements that revolutionized the idea of time and space, opening a new era in the history of communication, is telegraphy. It is based on the transmission of electrical signals through a cable over long distances, allowing people to communicate instantly. The telegraph spread very quickly and a network of wires stretched around the world.

In 1837, the American painter and physicist Samuel Morse invented the first electromagnetic device for telegraphy, patented in 1840. To send messages by wire, Morse developed in 1838 a simple code of dots and dashes, which represented the letters of the alphabet, known as "Morse code ".

Both Morse code and the telegraph machine were improved over time, with the telegraph becoming the most widespread system of communication and information transmission for more than a century, until the advent of the Internet. The telegraph system consisted of a series of stations repeaters along the transmission line route. Each station had an operator who received and transmitted messages by telegraph. The Morse machine transmitted about 25 words per minute, which were recorded in code on a paper tape. The operator in charge of transmitting the message would decode it and write it on paper using a special typewriter.

In Bessarabia, the telegraph entered in 1860: on April 8, the Bender telegraph station began its activity, and on April 24, the one in Chisinau, following the construction of the first Odesa-Chisinau-Leova telegraph line. Currently, telegraph services have been discontinued. The only ones who still use coded communication are radio amateurs.

The Morse telegraph machine shown comes from the Osinoostrovsky electrotechnical plant, Soviet Union, and dates back to 1934. The exhibit was restored by Mihail Culașco.

Virtual Tour


Publications Journal „Tyragetia"   vol. VII [XXII], nr. 1


Investigations of a mega-structure at the Trypillian culture settlement near Nebelivka in 2012
ISSN 1857-0240
E-ISSN 2537-6330

Investigations of a mega-structure at the Trypillian culture settlement near Nebelivka in 2012

Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. VII [XXII], nr. 1, Arheologie. Istorie Antică

In 2012 the British-Ukrainian expedition continued investigations at the Trypillian culture settlement near Nebelivka. The main aim of the field season was exploration of the largest object in the area (about 20×60 m), which was detected in 2012 by magnetic prospection. The investigations were funded by AHRC (Grant No. AH/I025867: 2012-2016) and the National Geographic Society (Grant No. 2012/211). Results of the excavations have confirmed the size of the site and have provided important information on this structure.

List of illustrations:

Fig. 1. Nebelivka. Plan of the site according to the magnetic survey: 1 - general plan; 2 - plot with the mega-structure (object B5).

Fig. 2. Nebelivka. General view on the place of the Trypillian culture settlement: 1 - photo taken by means of a kite (north-west direction); 2 - on the south side, from the opposite slope of the river valley.

Fig. 3. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, as seen from a kite: 1 - after clearing daubing strata; 2 - after the removal of the upper daubing stratum.

Fig. 4. Nebelivka. Exploration of the mega-structure: 1-3 - general view of the excavation process; 4 - after ending of the clearing burnt daubing layer.

Fig. 5. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part, burnt daubing: 1 - near elevation No.1; 2 - near elevation No.7; 3 - near elevation No.2, view from S.

Fig. 6. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part, location of the main constructions: a - milling stone; b - clay bin with milling stone; c - elevation No.2; d - elevation No.4; de - threshold; e - podium; f - elevation No.1; g - elevation No.3; h - place with broken pots and bowls over the pit near elevation №5; i - elevation №5; j - elevation No.6; k - remains of clay arc; l, r - strips of burnt daubing at eastern part; m - threshold; n, o, p - thresholds; q - elevation No.7.

Fig. 7. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part, round elevation: 1-2 - elevation and broken pots; 3 - elevation after removing of pottery.

Fig. 8. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part, podium: 1, 2 - general view; 3, 4 - cross-sections; 5 - part near the wall.

Fig. 9. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part, remains of a pithos near the podium: 1, 2 - fragments with decoration; 3 - remains of pithos and other pottery.

Fig. 10. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part, pithoi: 1 - pieces of pithos after clearing; 2 - wreckage of the pithos in the course of picking; 3 - fragment of a pithos with decoration; 4 - broken small pithos.

Fig. 11. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part, elevations on the ground surface: 1 - elevation №4; 2-3 - elevation No.2, general view and a fragment of the blade with rims; 4 - cross-section of elevation No.4; 5 - cross-section of elevation No.2.

Fig. 12. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part of excavation, elevation No.2: 1 - general view, to the right - clay bin with milling stone; 2 - fragment of an edge of elevation No.2 with in-depth ornament; 3 - part of elevation No.2; 4 - explorations of elevation No.2.

Fig. 13. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part of excavation: elevation №7: 1 - general view after clearing; 2 - after preparations to take as a monolith; 3 - fragment with decorations.

Fig. 14. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part, clay bin: 1 - at the beginning of explorations; 2 - after the cleaning.

Fig. 15. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part of excavation, clay bin with milling stone: 1 - corner and a broken pot inside; 2 - coating of the bottom and the remains of a construction in the center; 3 - fragment of a rim; 4 - corner.

Fig. 16. Nebelivka, Mega-structure, the western part of excavation, milling stone and remains of the second (?) rectangular structure.

Fig. 17. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part of excavation, remains of thresholds: 1 - the main entrance on the east side; 2 - entrance to the left room.

Fig. 18. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part of excavation, remains of the threshold from the western side.

Fig. 19. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, eastern part of excavation, strips of daubing: 1, 2, 4 - general views of the southern strip; 3 - cross-section of the northern strip.

Fig. 20. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part of excavation: pottery among strata of burnt daubing.

Fig. 21. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part of excavation: broken pottery and bowls over the pit near elevation No.5.

Fig. 22. Nebelivka. Mega-structure, the western part of excavation, finds: 1 - part of a necklace made of yellow metal; 2 - pendant made of the tooth of a predatory animal.

Наталья Бурдо
Traces of the ritual practice at a large Trypillian culture settlement near Maydanetske
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. VII [XXII], nr. 1, Arheologie. Istorie Antică
Михаил Видейко
Investigations of Trypillia site
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. X [XXV], nr. 1, Arheologie. Istorie Antică
Наталья Бурдо
Spindle whorls of Trypillia-Cucuteni cultural unity
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XIII [XXVIII], nr. 1, Arheologie. Istorie Antică
Михаил Видейко
Crises and early urbanization processes in Europe
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XII [XXVII], nr. 1, Arheologie. Istorie Antică
Наталья Бурдо
Interpretation of the cultural layer of the early Trypillian site of Bernashevka I
Tyragetia, serie nouă, vol. XI [XXVI], nr. 1, Arheologie. Istorie Antică



 

 

Independent Moldova
Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
Bessarabia and MASSR between the Two World Wars
Bessarabia and Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in the Period between the Two World Wars
Revival of National Movement
Time of Reforms and their Consequences
Abolition of Autonomy. Bessarabia – a New Tsarist Colony
Period of Relative Autonomy of Bessarabia within the Russian Empire
Phanariot Regime
Golden Age of the Romanian Culture
Struggle for Maintaining of Independence of Moldova
Formation of Independent Medieval State of Moldova
Era of the
Great Nomad Migrations
Early Middle Ages
Iron Age and Antiquity
Bronze Age
Aeneolithic Age
Neolithic Age
Palaeolithic Age
  
  

Come to Museum! Discover the History!
  
Visit museum
Visit museum
Summer schedule: daily
10am – 6pm.

Winter schedule: daily
10am – 5pm.
Closed on Mondays.
Entrance fees:  adults - 10 MDL, pensioners, adults with moderate disabilities / disability of the 3rd degree, students - 5 MDL, school students - 2 MDL. Free access: enlisted men (...)

WiFi Free Wi-Fi Zone in the museum: In the courtyard of the National History Museum of Moldova there is Wi-Fi Internet access for visitors.


#Exhibit of the Month

One of the great technical achievements that revolutionized the idea of time and space, opening a new era in the history of communication, is telegraphy. It is based on the transmission of electrical signals through a cable over long distances, allowing people to communicate instantly...

Read More >>

































The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2024 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

 



The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2024 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC

menu
The National Museum of History of Moldova takes place among the most significant museum institutions of the Republic of Moldova, in terms of both its collection and scientific reputation.
©2006-2024 National Museum of History of Moldova
Visit museum 31 August 1989 St., 121 A, MD 2012, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Phones:
Secretariat: +373 (22) 24-43-25
Department of Public Relations and Museum Education: +373 (22) 24-04-26
Fax: +373 (22) 24-43-69
E-mail: office@nationalmuseum.md
Technical Support: info@nationalmuseum.md
Web site administration and maintenance: Andrei EMILCIUC